Mode change

In order to test a link by changing the AP and SM from TDD, to TDD PtP or PtP Slave, each unit has to be rebooted? 

That makes testing a 2 person job with a tech at each end of the  link. Why not allow those changes without a reboot?

Am I missing something? Can those changes be done without a reboot?

In fact, way too many settings require a reboot. How about marking the settings that require a reboot with a icon of some sorts so we know before we make a change. It seems that some things work before a reboot but require a reboot as well. 

I'm not sure I understand why it requires two people.  Update the far side, hit the reboot button, then update the near side, hit the reboot button.

Cambium team, how about a "test" button like the UBNT gear has?  Now that would be nice.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. Pretty much all the gear from all the companies we’ve ever used has some sort of ‘test’ or ‘reboot to last working config if you don’t relink’ or ‘reboot it you cant ping 1.2.3.4 in X minutes’ mode.

@ninedd wrote:
Yes, I agree. Pretty much all the gear from all the companies we've ever used has some sort of 'test' or 'reboot to last working config if you don't relink' or 'reboot it you cant ping 1.2.3.4 in X minutes' mode.

This feature is currently is currently under consideration here. I'd suggest that you all kudo this feature if you'd like to see if added to the ePMP feature list.

Would be a great feature.

Right now, because your software takes so long to re-discover the link, when I change an SM setting and hit SAVE (I am connecting remotely and talking to the SM on a tower using the ePmP backhaul) there is a long ... no ... VERY LONG pause and I can wait minutes not knowing if the change needed a reboot of the SM or not because I can't connect to it any more. The SAVE terminates the link ... WHY? If the change needs a reboot to take effect, why terminate the link at the SAVE?

It takes way too long to test changes. I just moved from 5790 to 5795. All I did was change the freq and it took 4 mins and 23 sec to reassociate and I only have the the US 5.7 freq list checked at 20 mhz. Other radios we have scan in seconds for an AP freq change. I've been working for over an hour just changing freqs to fine the best throughput. Too much time being spent on this.

Ok so the link is operating at -55 and the AP shows detail on the link but the reports show NO registered subscriber modules AT TIMES even though the link runs fine. No ping drops but the subscriber module count goes frmo zero to 1 randomly. The radio shows it has no power but the link is working.

Device Name OUBHtoPR2
SSID OUPr21
Operating Frequency 5795 MHz
Operating Channel Bandwidth 20 MHz
Transmitter Output Power Off
Antenna Gain 1 dBi
Country United States
Access Point Mode TDD PTP
Downlink/Uplink Frame Ratio 75/25
Wireless Security WPA2
Registered Subscriber Modules 0
Wireless MAC Address 00:04:56:C6:FA:A6
Ethernet MAC Address 00:04:56:C6:FA:A5
IP Address 10.40.53.71
Date and Time 24 Aug 2015, 07:32:40 MDT
System Uptime 3 hours, 44 minutes
System Description BHtoPr2
Sync Source Status GPS Sync Down
Device Coordinates --
DFS Status Not Available
Ethernet Interface 1000 Mbps / Full
Wireless Interface Up
running fine with 75 mbps link speed

@John Waters wrote:

Would be a great feature.

Right now, because your software takes so long to re-discover the link, when I change an SM setting and hit SAVE (I am connecting remotely and talking to the SM on a tower using the ePmP backhaul) there is a long ... no ... VERY LONG pause and I can wait minutes not knowing if the change needed a reboot of the SM or not because I can't connect to it any more. The SAVE terminates the link ... WHY? If the change needs a reboot to take effect, why terminate the link at the SAVE?

That's odd. I've channged dozens of links from TDD to ePTP and vice versa and hitting the save button hasn't ever affected the link and within a second or two the "reboot" button will turn orange. I guess I was just under the impression that if a config change required a reboot it didn't actually apply the config until after the reboot.  Perhaps there are specific situations when it does?

Hi.  There really needs to be a Test Mode (or a combination of 'activate without saving' and a Ping Watchdog) so that we can test new settings and not saw off the branch we are standing on.  Right now - if we want to test different settings on a link, we risk losing the link and having to drive to reprogram the remote side back to working settings.

I'm not sure how to move this up in priority...   maybe if everyone KUDO'd these Ideas Posts?

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Your-Ideas/TEST-MODE-IN-EPMP/idi-p/39143#comments

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Your-Ideas/Ping-watchdog/idc-p/43015#M389