Most WISPs use terms of use, policies, etc?

I’m curious if most WISPs here have “fine print” or legal wording they distribute to their customers, such as…

1. Terms of Use
2. Service Level Agreements
3. Sales policies
4. Limitation of Liability policies
5. Any other kinds of policies that you think WISPs should use?

Thanks

You would want to have all of the standard acceptable use policy of a normal ISP - covering the usual things like spam mail, hack attempts etc. at the very least.

Look at any of the large ISPs terms and conditions / AUPs for guidance here.

The tricky question is the one of service level; most problems can be rectified quickly but there is the issue where service is broken and it is not possible to restore - eg: what do you do when someone builds a tall building slap bang between your AP and the customer premises as this isn’t going to be a temporary problem. Best thing is to exclude things like that but you may have issues with some customers who are not happy signing up under those terms.

Paul.

Hi Paul:

Thank you for your post.

You have a very good point where you talk about a path that isn’t fixable…

I’m not quite sure if I understood your statement whre you said, "Best thing is to exclude things like that but you may have issues with some customers who are not happy signing up under those terms."

How would I state that to my customer? I’d probably do it in writing on one of my policies.

Thanks

Hi,

I guess that it comes down to what else you are excluding from your service level agreement - war,acts of God etc - again, any standard contract will have such a clause in it. It may well be that your force majeure clause will be sufficiently broad to cover this anyway - but you really want to be certain that you have something along the lines of “any other external interference to the radio link wholly beyond our control or remedy” in there.

You’ll want to check this out with a lawyer anyway - don’t forget that your contract with the customer is supposed to be somewhat biased to make your life easy. You don’t want to accidentally make it easy for a customer to sue you or get service credit!

Paul.