Motorola Canopy 900 MHz

Any WISP’s out there using Motorola Canopy 900 MHz whereby you’re achieving distances of 12 miles with part of the link being through trees? If so, can I call you to chat for a minute?

Thanks,

Warren

You might be able to deal with some thin tree tops but my experience is over 5-6 miles clear LOS is a must. Anything intruding into the fresnel zone will interfere. Also, what might work while the trees are dry may fail when they get wet.

I have a link at my house that is 6 miles going through a tree but I have the AP (3350’ ASL) pointed almost directly at my house and a 13dBi yagi on the SM.

The situation in my neck of the woods is pretty, well, woodsy…

900MHz has been forgiving for the most part, but I have learned what it can and can’t handle.

Dense foliage here mostly leafy trees, with spots of dense pine trees. I don’t even mess around with pine trees anymore, and rarely mess around with more than one dense forest in my path.

Corn is a killer for me in some situations I have found this year…if I try to squeak a customer through a not-so-great fresnel link and summer rolls around and produces 6-8ft corn stalks, it kills me. Thank God for plenty silos in this area for range extender/small repeater sites.

Unfortunately I rolled 900 out in mid-fall with some leaves, but dry/dead…I was concerned about spring, but to my expectations, things have held up and have not been worse than I expected.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think 900 is a miracle maker all the time…it’s just that the demand is very strong since dialup is the only option for MANY people around here and the only dialup they are used to is 28.8 or sometimes 33 connections due to the antiquity of the phone lines buried 40 +years ago. Throw them into 1x mode, make sure I’m running 100%, and away they go.

I do not let my surveys go below 85% for both up/down in the efficiency testing, because 9 times out of 10, switching to 1x proves to be 100% up and down…

To answer your question:
This is my maximum distance customer at this time:

(status page):
Air Delay 366 (approximately 10.19 miles (53802 feet))
RSSI 1305
Jitter 4
1x Mode

(link test):
Stats for LUID: 2 Test Duration: 2 Pkt Length: 1522
Downlink RATE: 1742080 bps
Uplink RATE: 503040 bps
Downlink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Max Downlink Index: 100
Actual Downlink Index: 100
Expected Frag Count: 6805
Actual Frag Count: 6805
Uplink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Max Uplink Index: 100
Actual Uplink Index: 100
Expected Frag Count: 1965
Actual Frag Count: 1965

Now, the jitter is a little on the questionable side, but the link is solid with a 13dBi Yagi (PacWireless). Now, also, keep in mind that the noise floor is insanely low here (Amish country land…). Here’s this customer’s path profile created by RadioMobile. Some of the numbers have changed such as the AP tx power is now set to 22dBm and the customer dBm is raised to 28dBm:

Don’t laugh too hard at that profile; It’s working. It’s been working for ~6months…shrugs

Now, I have tested at a distance of 20 miles with a 13dBi yagi and had 100% link efficiency…over the tops of trees though.

Just a few of my thoughts, hopefully helpful/insightful?

Rich

Just a side note, I thought canopy radios only generated 340mW of power?

amd phreak wrote:
Just a side note, I thought canopy radios only generated 340mW of power?

According to the manual, 26dBm (400mW (398mW))...?

Edit: I see the error of my ways (read: fingers) and your questioning; s/28/26dBm (raised 2dBm from default)