Motorola Canopy and Cold Weather

Does anyone else see a huge jump in jitter in cold weather conditions. This problem of ours causes us to put up reflector dishes at customer sites that are .84 mile away form our central.

1. These are customers that have been customers for a year or better with no problems.
2. In some cases the jitter is so bad that a unit will be in session with a ap but pass no traffic.
3. A link test from the AP or SM shows DL at 90+% and UP at 30% or worse.
4. A Reflector fixes the problem every time

Anyone else having this problem?

We have had temps around -20 below F and we have had no problems at all, in fact, it seems that the RSSI increases and the jitter has dropped below average on most SM’s.

We have had temps around -20 below F and we have had no problems at all, in fact, it seems that the RSSI increases and the jitter has dropped below average on most SM's.

I agree with this. We haven't had weather that cold, but the RSSIs and Jitters definitely become better as the temperature drops.

I would think that maybe if you have customers that close to your transmitter that aren't using reflectors, that maybe the RF is getting sprayed all over the place do to the close proximity, causing the jitter. But it seems from the way you described your problem that you are only experiencing these symptoms when the weather gets cold.

We use reflectors no matter how close customers are to narrow the beamwidth down.

Yes, I just had this problem with a 5700 at about 4.1 miles on a reflector. This subscriber worked fine for a year and then in the last few weeks started having intermittent problems. There were two other SM’s on this AP and they did not have any problems.

The radio would stay registered with an RSSI of ~1000 and a jitter of 1. Ping test would pass 20 packets, then fail 20, then pass 20 (never losing registration.)

Re-peaked
Upgraded to 6.1 (AP and SM’s)
Replaced the radio
Replaced the power supply.
Same problem

Canopy tech support and I decided it was interference. Moved the frequency (making sure that all SM’s were configured for all of the frequencies) and the problem was solved.

Doesn’t make any sense but there it is. FWIW The air was very cold and very clear.

Jerry Richardson
airCloud Communications

We ALWAYS use the dish, regardless of how close the customer is. We have some customers as close as .5 mile… we still put the dish on them.

It was -23 below this morning, and the network looks great!!

I have had similar problems to jerry, stays registered, but has unexplainable ping drops, i can ping the AP through the BH’s and never a problem, but from the customer site I get dropped every 5 to 10 minutes or so, it only bugs out for about 45 seconds, and them majicallycomes back to life.
The RSSI is usually above 1200 with a jitter of less than 5, but I am really having a problem with getting the jitter to below 3.

If you time the dropoffs you will notice it is every 6 minutes from the time you get the first ping back. We had similar problems in the past and it is inherant only to the Canopy. It has to do with the registration/synching of the radio. 2 things we did to help was…

1. Try reversing the master and slave radios. If the slave is too close to an AP or you are using an SM as a BH the slave is seeing the beacon from the nearby AP. (Or some other Canopy magic) this seemed to help.

2. Enable “Transmit Frame Spreading” on the link. The dropouts seem to go away. You may get some higher latency every 6 minutes but does not completely dropout.

3. Use a different brand of backhaul. My experience with Canopy is that rarely is there a problem with a link dropping due to frequency interference but almost always with the synchronization. We switched a backhaul with the same problem you described to a proxim using the same frequency as the previous Canopy and have not dropped a packet since!

jdiskin…

1. Try reversing the master and slave radios. If the slave is too close to an AP or you are using an SM as a BH the slave is seeing the beacon from the nearby AP. (Or some other Canopy magic) this seemed to help.

You just might have something there with the backhaul master/slave thing. I will try it. We don’t use canopy backhauls for our backbone but do use them for customers that need more bandwidth. And we do have a backhaul at that site facing that same direction, straight south.

Thanks