MSE

What is this statisitic and why would it change when everything seems to be pretty stable?  What range should it be in with a PTP820S link?  Please forgive my ignorance but I am monitoring this link and I see variations in the range it is reading. It was running at about -20 then jumped to -27 for about five hours overnight then back to -20 for a couple of hours and then to -38 where it has been steady now for the last 12 hours.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Modem MSE (dB) The MSE (Mean Square Error) of the RX signal, measured in dB

This should be between -30 to -40 for a good working install in my understanding. Most of my links are around -35dB. -99dB means the modem is not talking to the far end, less than -30dB to me says your RX power is to high.

LinkPlanner should show you your expected receive power and voltage, and what to set your TX power to. Was you link comissioned on this?

The link was commissioned with link planner.  It predicted -38 and the as installed received signal strength is -38.  Right on the prediction.  I was confused by the MSE changing when the RSS was staying the same.  I have the TX power at each end set to maximum.  Is a -38 RSS to highh?

Thanks

Steve

A high MSE can indicate the presence of interference.

What modulation mode does LINKPlanner predict?

What modulation mode is the link using?

Are there any other expectations or predictions that aren't being met? (like throughput, for example)

I hope this helps!

Dave

We are running 32 QUAM and 40 MHz bandwidth.  I was just wondering what would make the MSE change when everything else was stable.  The MSE has now settled down to a pretty stable -25 to -30 range.  So when it was varying and went down to -38 for a day, that could have been interference?  The link is performing perfectly and as predicted but I was wanting to learn about this MSE statistic.  RSS has been very steady around -38.  This is a 16 mile path.

Thanks

Steve

-20 to -25 dB MSE sounds like it could be suspect.

-37 to -40 dB MSE is great

-99 dB MSE is link down.

In other words, the lower the MSE, the better, but unfortunately, -99 dB is link down.

MSE is modulation dependent, so -20 to -25 dB for 32QAM could be OK.

Are you seeing any errors on the Ethernet or wireless statistics?

I hope this helps!

Dave

No errors.  This link is working perfectly.  I am just trying to understand what MSE is.

Thanks

Steve