need help with advantage 900MHz link

Our company has an advantage 900 AP and one SM (so far) pointed at it. The SM tries to register, will show registering, then cycles to syncing, then drops the link. The cycle repeats this same pattern over and over again. The AP is multipoint. Any suggestions what to do?

Welcome to the forum.

What you describe indicates low RF strength.

Try this post:
http://motorola.motowi4solutions.com/su … ng++levels

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Try this post:

Jerry
your post is interesting.
I never noticed that some SMs with strong signal can cause issues on receiving a lower SM signal.
Did you make some tests about that?

Thanks
Massimo

P.S. et1swcnet: I did experienced the same behaviour when enabling DFS (Region code: Europe) on 5400 SM

We noticed it early on. Since then we have always maintained a policy to keep the RF levels balanced.

I know others have noticed the same thing.

It’s possible that the distance in AP configuration is not set far enough. How far is the SM from the AP?

SM is between 5 and 7 miles from AP. AP has distance set at 70, SM has distance set at 20.

My experience on 5.7ghz with this has been low signal/rf like Jerry indicated…Had to go to higher gain antennas, or in some cases better los…Also look at interference in the area.

Lower that max distance on the AP and SM to 10.

Make sure the power on the AP and the SM is turned up to the max.

What antenna is on the AP and the SM?

Where are you setting a mileage in the SM? The AP mileage should only be just farther than your furthest SM. We generally set them anywhere from 12-14 miles for 900Mhz. 70 miles is wayyyyyy to much.

oops… typo on 70… meant to say 17 sorry about that

The SM never actually registers with this AP. It is the only SM on the AP at the moment. Aiming mode jitter at the SM from the last svc call was 2 to 3, but I can’t remember the air delay.or RSSI. Didn’t think to write it all down at the time. Point is, SM can be aimed to the AP, but it will not register.

What does the AP see the SM power level at?

If you go to Alignment mode in the SM what do you see the power level from the AP at?

Do you have a diffrent SM you can try. I just had this happen, turned out to be a bad AP.

One thing to check is to turn the AP into and SM and do a spectrum Anaylisis. When I did this everything read -88 accross all freq. I brought the AP into the lab and found that it would connect from 15 feet away, the SM saw the AP at -35 and the AP saw the SM at -60 so there was a 25db diffrence. the AP was just going deaf or something. Have had it happen to a 900SM now too, both at P10 boards.

Thanks,
Ben

Again, what antennas (type and gain) are on the AP and SM?

You may also want to pull down the SM and try a closer link to see if the radios are good…

see the color

et1swcnet wrote:
Our company has an advantage 900 AP and one SM (so far) pointed at it. The SM tries to register, will show registering, then cycles to syncing, then drops the link. The cycle repeats this same pattern over and over again. The AP is multipoint. Any suggestions what to do?

A couple of things noone has mentioned yet...

Is schedule whitening on on the AP? If so, turn it off until you are sure everything has the very latest firmware on it.

What firmware is on everything?

Is authentication turned off in the AP?

-forrest

Schedule whitening is a DFS feature that doesn’t apply to 900MHz.

It may not apply but it does have an effect if enabled in 900mhz.

Have you used the Spectrum Analyzer feature on the AP (in SM mode) to see what the noise floor is at? Maybe you can’t link up because the interference is too strong. The first time I ever tried to use Moto 900, it wouldn’t go more than 2-3 miles (and a poor link at best) due to interference in the low part of the 900 band from cell tower bleed over. Oh, and the high part of the band was destroyed by paging towers. All very close to my 900 AP, both in frequency and physical proximity. Needless to say, we don’t use 900 there, just 2.4 :slight_smile: