Network Shaping device

Does anyine have nay old network shaoing device that they might have grown out of? I am jsut starting out and have 20 customers and have seen some increased activity to Bit Torrent and what not. In my contract I don’t support Bit Torrent but they will do it anyway. I just thought someone might have a deivce thy had when they where starting out that they might have grown out of. I have 1 T1 now and I am in the process of adding another one…

Thanks

we have grown to 100 customers running off 3 3 meg DSL lines. (ok, not really, actually 5 3 meg DSL lines…but we run two seperate networks). We’re using a linksys rv082 for load balancing and some bandwidth shaping - preparing to move to a mikrotik router. I suggest you look into one of those solutions. I think even some open source firmware for linksys routers like tomato or ddwrt will help control some of that torrenting.

I think we did fine on one three meg circuit until about 20 customers too…

May also want to look into ZeroShell.

MikroTik - take the time to learn how to set it up and become proficient with it. It can scale to hundreds of users.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
MikroTik - take the time to learn how to set it up and become proficient with it. It can scale to hundreds of users.

And then you get one software update which breaks 20% of what was functional....

True.

Newer is not always better. Anytime a major release of anything rolls out I wait. I generally avoid x.0 versions.

Of course in the case of Moto we weren’t safe with x.1.anything until 8.1.7 but that’s a rare beast.

mikrotik is okay for a tiny ISP, once you get over a couple hundred subscribers it’s pure terror – just keep that in mind.

use cisco layer 3 switches and routers and prioritize queues and traffic shaping based on the service level the customer is paying for.

or, if you like linux queuing there are other options besides mikrotik.

r wrote:
mikrotik is okay for a tiny ISP, once you get over a couple hundred subscribers it's pure terror -- just keep that in mind.

use cisco layer 3 switches and routers and prioritize queues and traffic shaping based on the service level the customer is paying for.

or, if you like linux queuing there are other options besides mikrotik.

We have over 900 subscribers using all mikrotik routers throughout the network at each tower. Everything except for our DS3 edge router just because there is no mikrotik add-on to connect DS3. We have never had any problems with these routers. As long as you make sure you know what your doing on them they aren't hard to manage. Especially for the price they do everything and more we could ever ask for including bandwidth shaping and controlling bandwidth for all p2p protocols and more.

Thanks for all the advice. I am looking inot some options now. Will let everyone know how it works out…