New 30 and 60 Mbps backhauls

Has anyone worked with the new 30/60/300 Mbps backhauls? I am particularly interested in the connectorized version of the 30 and 60 Meg backhauls. I downloaded the User Guide and the Quick Start guide to answer some questions, but I am looking for some real-life experience and opinions.

I have questions such as bandwidth vs. throughput, colocation with existing 5.7 and 5.8 “true Canopy” devices, intereference issues with existing Canopy links, etc.

From my reading I have gathered that the 30 and 60 Mbps modules only utilize 11 or 12 MHz of spectrum when modulated vs the 20 MHz that a “true Canopy” device uses. Is there any type of timing involved with these new modules? Any recommended dishes/antennas that work well with these units?

Thanks in advance.

These radios are just Orthogon radios that Motorola is reselling with their own labeling and firmware showing the Motorola logo. I use both the Motorola and the Orthogon Gemini units and they are the same except for the above stated. What is NOT the same is the level of support I have received. Orthogon tech support has been top notch. I am STILL waiting on Motorola to release a firmware update that has been out for a while now from Orthogon. Save yourself some headache and just buy the Orthogon directly. As far as interference, I have had none. They are truely great radios. No need for GPS timing with them. Just use common scense with frequency planning. Good Luck!

I’ve wondered for a while now if Motorola is really committed to Canopy anymore. Interactions with them and code release schedules have really fallen off since this time last year.

don’t be fooled by the bandwidth it is all a con, for the last two weeks many of you may have read my postings, I have dedicated alot of time and resource into getting to the bottom of this and some of the findings are shocking. I will be posting my results.

I post was put on about 4 days ago regarding the pps (packets per second ) and Motorola are yet to respond. However below is a reply to someone of the another forum.

msmith, someone told me in this forum that the 30/6o BH use 64QAM and that is how they are able to get the throughput on a smaller spectrum, what this means is that it will not hold up too well to attenuation or interference.

According to full throttle these are not Motorola design, but definately check out this pps, otherwise you may not get what you expect.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Hey,
Its not the amount of data or bandwidth. It’s the packets per second.
We saw exactly the same thing and traced it to a Call centre running VOIP. Small packets and lots of them.
Canopy can only handle 3000 packets per second and then you will see what you described.
We changed to another manufacturer of radios that can do 15000 pps and problem solved.
The interesting thing was that he was running 500 lines. He is using about 10000 pps.
That’s 7000 pps above what canopy can do.
Rough calculation in my head is about 150 or so users each running 1 voip connection at the same time and down goes your BH.
Canopy radios seem to do the least amount of PPS. Cisco’s do 5000.
Canopy must fix this or VOIP will kill them . We already bought other radios to handle this one customer.
Just my thoughts.

Do these units use seperate frequencies for Tx and Rx or do they use one frequency for both like Canopy?

wait a minute here, let me state for the record that I LOVE the 30/60 radios. They ROCK! They are Orthogon radios, and have nothing to do with Motorola or their design at all. Motorola is getting them from Orthogon, www.orthogonsystems.com. I have 8 links deployed and every one of them have performed just as expected. I am using the “30” meg radios and I am getting a full 10MB in each direction, or 20 MB. They use TDD, so they CAN use the same frequency to transmit and receive. I have two 35 mile links that are both NON lign of site and I STILL get 8MB in each directions with the 60MB radios. These things are awesome. period. My complaint is that I can’t seem to get the Motorola to release the latest firmware that Orthogon has released that fixes an snmp but that prevents snmp from working if the ip address is higher than 192.x.x.x or something like that.

full_throttle wrote:
wait a minute here, let me state for the record that I LOVE the 30/60 radios. They ROCK! They are Orthogon radios, and have nothing to do with Motorola or their design at all. Motorola is getting them from Orthogon, www.orthogonsystems.com. I have 8 links deployed and every one of them have performed just as expected. I am using the "30" meg radios and I am getting a full 10MB in each direction, or 20 MB. They use TDD, so they CAN use the same frequency to transmit and receive. I have two 35 mile links that are both NON lign of site and I STILL get 8MB in each directions with the 60MB radios. These things are awesome. period. My complaint is that I can't seem to get the Motorola to release the latest firmware that Orthogon has released that fixes an snmp but that prevents snmp from working if the ip address is higher than 192.x.x.x or something like that.

I have two pair of the 60MB units, both on the test bench. I upgraded both pairs to the latest code (from Orthogon's website) and both are working fine. They still have the Motorola Canopy logos in the web UI.

Firmware code is 5840-06-05

These were Motorola Branded (packaged) radios but I downloaded the firmware directly from Orthogon's website. As far as I can tell there is nothing preventing you from upgrading to the most recent firmware.

Well, I talked to both the Orthogon Techs and the Motorola techs and both said not to do it. The link I need to upgrade is in use and I don’t think it is wise to experiment with a link in use. I wonder when the 05 code came out? When I first posted here a few days ago the code available from Orthogon was 04, unless I missed it. Maybe that is what Mot. is waiting on, the latest code…but if so they could at least tell me instead of saying,“I don’t know keep checking the website.” I wish I could get a good answer from them on upgrading the firmware. If I can use the Orthogon thats fine. But until I get something official from Moto. I will just have to keep calling and posting here.

They use TDD, so they CAN use the same frequency to transmit and receive.

So does that imply that that this is a full duplex product and you have the option to choose a seperate Tx and Rx frequency?
full_throttle wrote:
Well, I talked to both the Orthogon Techs and the Motorola techs and both said not to do it. The link I need to upgrade is in use and I don't think it is wise to experiment with a link in use. I wonder when the 05 code came out? When I first posted here a few days ago the code available from Orthogon was 04, unless I missed it. Maybe that is what Mot. is waiting on, the latest code....but if so they could at least tell me instead of saying,"I don't know keep checking the website." I wish I could get a good answer from them on upgrading the firmware. If I can use the Orthogon thats fine. But until I get something official from Moto. I will just have to keep calling and posting here.

Looks like it was released on Nov 8th.

http://www.orthogonsystems.com/support/software.html

I guess what would be nice to know is specifically what the difference would be betwen the moto modified firmware and the original orthogon code. I can't imagine much could be different, other than the gui interface which has the moto logo on it.

My opinion is that there probably isn't any significant differences, however I do have the benefit of not having our two 60M links in production and can experiement with the different codes, so far have not seen any material differences or problems.

BTW, the most recent pair of radios came with -02 code, the first radio came with -01