I'm one of WISPs that has 99% of UBNT equipment. I guess it's obvious why I got here - to find better solution.
I heard about Cambium even before, when I started my WISP business. I guess UBNT did better marketing and there I am now. WIFI4EU project is what made me look at
Cambium again because UBNT promised to get certificates 18 months ago. Setting up access points will be piece of cake with Cambium for first time (I got hands on some products for testing from my distributor), even I did many of UNIFI deployments before. But it's not why I am here. I'm here because of WISP business.
I have nothing against UBNT, but some things like catching up with roadmap, promises, waiting for year(s) to deliver actual product drives me insane.
They have pretty good things too, that's why I'm still stick to them.
Right now, I have plans to cover more area and get more customers, so I have to decide - keep stick to UBNT or go with other solutions.
What I miss with UBNT most is 4x4 MU-MIMO access points, like ePMP3000 to have more clients within same channel width.
If you don't mind, I would like to ask few general questions here, feel free to answer, point me on reading other topics, ban me or whatever.
I'm looking mostly at ePMP 3000 device here as my access point solution.
1. There is device itself with 4 connectors, one for each chain from 4x4. I guess GPS antenna is internal because there is not 5th connector for external antenna?
2. I would like to use 3rd party antennas, from RF Elements. My deployment is in very hostile enviroment and asymetric horn antennas are only solution so far. Can I connect two 2x2 antennas to single ePMP3000, what is best option?
2.a If answer is YES, can I point them back-to-back, like in GPS ABAB deployment, (but A is same radio, 2 antennas) to save some costs on radios for first few months? Later I would buy 2 antennas for each radio and point both antennas in same direction to have higher client count.
3. I use spectrum analyzer very much, on both - AP and CPE because there are many n00bz around who have AUTO channels set, or randomly change their freq. Does Cambium have separate radio on AP and CPE to have real time spectrum analyzer or I have to go on clients location to run it because it will drop wifi connection?
3.a Maybe it has mode to turn off wireless connection for 10mins, save and send results back later?
3.b If it's not possible to analyze spectrum, is it possible at least do live wireless network survey from both AP and CPE without cutting wireless link to get some "feel" about other AP channels/signals? I know to get real picture, we need to see also signals from other stations, but in some cases it helps.
4. Elevate FW works only with M5 series from UBNT, no AC? Is it on roadmap, any beta or something?
5. Is it possible to connect 3rd party devices as stations, or only Cambium CPE and UBNT/mikrotik with elevate FW?
6. What is status of multiplexing to get (multi)Gigabit wireless PTP links/redudancy?
7. If I use old LiteBeams from UBNT, they are 1x1 radios, does 4x4 mean it can serve 4 of them at same time or 2 of them + 1 2x2 radio? Please explain it to me, I didn't even do research on this topic, just came in mind right now.
8. Name at least ONE or more adventages why YOU using Cambium over UBNT AC/other vendors equipment