New to Canopy, can you explain something?

I have been using Canopy for about 1.5 years but have read the term 1x, 2x on here and am not sure what it is referring to. Can someone educate me please?

Are you asking what the mechanics of 1x vs 2x is or just what the purpose /function of 1x vs 2x is ?

I don’t know the mechanics of it really but the purpose / function is that it doubles the aggregate throughput of the link. That is, for example, 900 MHz in 1x delivers around 2Mbs , theoretically if you enable 2x it can do 4mbs.

From the Canopy User’s Manual:

A Configuration page option in both Advantage SMs and some Canopy SMs provides double the aggregate throughput for SMs that are nearer than half of the distance range from the AP (the nearest one-fourth of the SMs in the sector). The requirements of this feature are as follows:

◦ Both the AP and the SM must be operating on Canopy System Release 7.0
or later.
◦ The AP must be an Advantage AP enabled for hardware scheduling and 2X
operation.
◦ The SM must be near the AP, as described above.
◦ The SM must be of the P9 hardware series and enabled for hardware
scheduling. See Designations for Hardware and Firmware on Page 354.
◦ The 2X Rate parameter in the SM must be set to enabled. This is the default
setting.
◦ The amount of noise and multipath must be low enough to allow the receiver in
the 6-dB less sensitive (2X) state to maintain a high carrier-to-interference (C/I)
ratio.

It looks like only 1/4 of the SM’s on any sector (or 1/4 of all your users if your on an Omni) will be able to get 2x at any given time. Only those within 1/2 the max range will even be considered for 2x (I assume “max range” refers to the setting on the AP were you set the max distance an SM will be allowed to connect from) 2x will not tolerate interference and multipath as well as 1x.

If I have misunderstood the manual hopefully someone will correct me. Also, some of that info may not be same on different versions of the software.

mhussey wrote:
I have been using Canopy for about 1.5 years but have read the term 1x, 2x on here and am not sure what it is referring to. Can someone educate me please?

Thank you, I will have to read up on this. As of right now, all modules are on software scheduling so this would not work (until I figure out how/when/why to make the changes to hardware scheduling).