New to Canopy, please assist.

Teknix wrote:
No, there is not a height limitation for the Canopy unit itself. Yes, there is a cable length limit. The cable is providing an Ethernet link -- either 10BaseT or 100BaseTX -- with a cable length limit of 300 meters or 328 feet.

You might have meant 100 meters, but not 300 :)

Thanks for pointing out my error! If I’d compounded my mistake by converting 300 meters to feet, I might possibly have been alert enough to spot the disconnect between my fingers, eyes, and brain. Or maybe not.

well, ended up putting the unit on my roof. It seemed like it was a bit quicker at first, but it started doing the same thing and dropping for a second. My Rssi is hovering right around 1000, but my jitter has dropped from 7/8 to a steady 5.

I don’t know what else the problem could be. The only other possiblility I could think of, is that it might have something to do with the filter my isp is running. I was thinking that every so often the system does a check that might overflow the unit, causing it to restart? I don’t know thats probably wishful thinking, however I am still open if anyone has any more suggestions. Thanks again all.

Your next step is to get the software upgraded in both your SM and your provider’s AP. You should be able to proceed with upgrading your SM without waiting for your provider, but I don’t believe there’s a need to upgrade to a newer version than what your provider plans to put on their AP.

Remember, the sequence of upgrades is from your current “nahum” to v3.2.5, then v4.2.3, and then v6.1. Motorola says you can’t skip a step. Make sure you also upgrade the BOOT and FPGA to versions when specified in Motorola’s instructions.

Does you provider own your SM? The upgrade should be their responsibility.

no I actually own the SM, however I am now being offered a job with my provider! By god, I am going to get to the bottom of this!! I think I will update the AP to6.1, and then if I’m not mistaken you can download an auto-update tool. Obviously that will allow the SM’s to update so we wouldn’t have to go around to each unit. I will post results asap.

And once again - thanks Teknix! :slight_smile:

Be careful! You can get yourself into more trouble if you jump to v6.1. Read my previous warning about stranding old SMs.

If you’re careful, you can get everything upgraded without traveling to any remote sites. I upgraded two APs and 20 SMs sitting at a desk at one of the SM sites. Until, that is, I inadvertently stranded a few “nahum” SMs.

The safest process would be be bring ALL units, both APs and SMs, up to v3.2.5, then bring ALL units up to v.4.2.3. The process is tedious, but should be error-free.

My understanding is that the automatic process for v6.1 requires all units to already be at v4.2.3. I’ve installed CNUT (the automated tool) on a W2K PC, but I haven’t yet attempted a v6.1 upgrade.

okay, good info. I will be extra carefull, and will post results. :slight_smile:

As far as someone saying no way Canopy is faster than cable…you are looking at what the ISP is allowing you to have.
Currently my tests for our system show Canopy being able to go as high as 8Mbps. Now are we going to give 8Mbps to the customer? We could, but not for the price they are willing to pay. So right now most of our customers pay for about a maximum of 2Mbps. The latencies are only slightly higher than a cabled connection. So if you are experiencing high latency, then your signal/jitter probably needs to be improved.
Now cable can probably go as high as about 45Mbps, but are you going to get that? Only if you are a millionaire.

So you need to distinguish between what the Canopy system can do and what the ISP is willing to let you have.

Also remember…wireless is generally intended for getting speeds to remote locations that other broadband providers will refuse to service.

Regards,
Chris

I agree witht he speed. I have been able to pull steady 7 Mbps through a number of my units.

Aaron

okay update. I have upgraded my SM to v.4.2.3 and that has lowered jitter significantly. i hover around 1000-1100 for RSSI, and my Jitter is about a 2. Pretty damn good - however - I am still getting lagged out of games when playing xbox. I have no idea what else to do. :frowning:

here are stats:

Device type
5.7GHz - Multipoint - Subscriber Modem - 0a-00-3e-f0-03-df
Software Version
CANOPY4.2.3 Jul 23 2004 11:13:49 SM-DES
Software Boot Version
CANOPYBOOT 3.0
FPGA Version
062403 (DES)
Uptime
05:29:09
System Time
06:50:08 03/09/2005
Ethernet Interface
100Base-TX Full Duplex
Subscriber Modem Stats
Session Status
REGISTERED
Registered AP
0a-00-3e-f0-02-63
RSSI
1024 (NA)
Jitter
Air Delay
377 (approximately 3.50 miles (18473 feet))

Current entry index: 0

Index: 0 Frequency: 5750.0 MHz ESN: 0a-00-3e-f0-02-63
Jitter: 2 RSSI: 1009 Power Level: NA Beacon Count: 40 BRcvW: 0
Type: Multipoint Avail: 1 Age: 0 Lockout: 0 RegFail 0 Range: 18473 feet TxBER: 0 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 3 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 0 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
FrameNumber: 1613 SectorID: 1 Color Code: 0 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 2
PercentDataDwn: 75 PercentDataUpHi: 0 NumDAckSlots: 3 NumContSlots: 3 NumUAckSlots: 3

Index: 1 Frequency: 5800.0 MHz ESN: 0a-00-3e-f0-02-89
Jitter: 9 RSSI: 927 Power Level: NA Beacon Count: 28 BRcvW: 0
Type: Multipoint Avail: 1 Age: 0 Lockout: 0 RegFail 0 Range: 0 feet TxBER: 0 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 0 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 0 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
FrameNumber: 1835 SectorID: 6 Color Code: 0 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 1
PercentDataDwn: 50 PercentDataUpHi: 0 NumDAckSlots: 3 NumContSlots: 3 NumUAckSlots: 3
Stats for LUID: 3 Test Duration: 2
Downlink RATE: 4872192 bps
Uplink RATE: 1060096 bps
Downlink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Max Downlink Index: 100
Actual Downlink Index: 100
Expected Frag Count: 19032
Actual Frag Count: 19032
Uplink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Expected Frag Count: 4141
Actual Frag Count: 4141

any possible explanation for the disconnects? Or anything else left for me to try?

Just to post some information about playing Xbox, I have played Xbox on my canopy SM at home, Granted its a 2.4 but I did have to disable the nat in the sm and use a router as I was haveing issues being double nated.

were you getting dropped from games? And what exactly does disabling the nat do? how do you disable it?

ah nevermind, i see mine is already disabled. fuck.

oh well i give up. Thanks for those who tried to help, but I guess because of my distance from the AP is so far that the service just drops every so often. I found a cybercafe 30 minutes away with a T1 though, so I guess I’ll manage. Thanks again, especially Teknix.

Are you running 4.x, or have they upgraded everything to 6.1? There is a very significant improvement from 4.x to 6.1

Jerry Richardson
airCloud Communications

Just a quick one to check. I noticed that your ethernet connection is running at 100 MB/sec full duplex. If your cable is not a Cat 5, and or well within tolerances you may be having alot of retransmissions on your line creating havoc when you are playing the games. A simple ping test will not necessarily show this type of problem, and although your ltency is low, in reality can be high if a significant number of retransmissions are occurring.

I would force the Ethernet connection to 10 MB/sec which will tolerate a significantly higher noise rate without data re-transmissions. As your wireless link is in the 3 MB/sec range there will be no negative effect on overall performance. Actually your system willl be that much better in sync with the overall transmit rec capacity of the systems. I.E. less router buffering.

A shot in the dark, but may be your answer…

they are still running sp3…and they will no longer return my calls. So i took the liberty to upgrade my SM until I saw noticable improvements. I stopped at 4.2.3 because my jitter is now non-existant. If I go to 6.1 though, will it even help my situation? Probably not, but who knows…can you even instal 6.1 without having CNUT on the cluster?

I’m confused about your relationship with the owner of the AP. If you’re their customer, don’t they feel they have a responsibility to resolve your problem? At some point your provider needs to upgrade their AP. Bringing the AP up to v4.2.3 will likely do more good than moving yours to v6.1.

If Xbox is your only problem, what’s the location of the other Xbox you’re connected to? Could the problem exist outside the Canopy network?

I know, I am now just assuming that my ISP hates me. That’s what I get for living in some backwoods town such as this. Or honestly, I don’t think they know what the hell they are doing.

As for the xbox, I am connecting to Xbox live, and don’t have a problem anywhere else except my house. Others have said that they have canopy and their xbox works fine, so I gather that it must be on my ISPs side. Therein lies the problem, as I can’t go over there and ask to fix the network. It’s not LOS or anything, cause as I said there is nothing but flat bare land everywhere (remember farm living is great), and I can see the AP perfectly. Is that the only thing left - waiting for these guys to get off their asses and do something?