new tower site - need some info

Hello all.

I am considering using an existing tower about 9 miles from my primary one. The last .5 to 1 mile of the 9 is all hills and trees. I have a few customers that I can reach using poles and yagis, but it is some trouble w/o los.

The existing tower is a free standing, maybe 60-70 feet tall. I would like to put a single 120 or 180 sector on it, facing the direction where most of the people are (my primary tower can reach most folks on the opposite side of the sector). Also, I don’t want to use a omni so I will have less chance of interference, etc… (unless someone tells me otherwise).

Will radiomobile software (or something similar) tell me projected range based on actual elevation maps? I would kind of like to know what I can expect before shelling out the dough.

If anyone can point me in a direction or give me some pointers, I would like it a lot.

jakkwb wrote:
The existing tower is a free standing, maybe 60-70 feet tall. I would like to put a single 120 or 180 sector on it, facing the direction where most of the people are (my primary tower can reach most folks on the opposite side of the sector). Also, I don't want to use a omni so I will have less chance of interference, etc... (unless someone tells me otherwise).

I'm sure that a sectorial 120° antenna would perform much better than omni (because of additional gain and less noise).
About 180°, I don't know any sectorial 180°, you will have to use two 90°.
BTW, what frequency band are you planning to use?

MTI Wireless Edge makes a 180° HPOL sector in 900MHz. We use them and they work fantastic, as do all of our MTIWE antennas.

900MHz.

wifiguy wrote:
MTI Wireless Edge makes a 180° HPOL sector in 900MHz. We use them and they work fantastic, as do all of our MTIWE antennas.

Yes, I've seen on their website, amazing pattern.
Unfortunately on 5 Ghz the maximum available is still 120°.

Comdisco makes a 190 deg I use 2 of them and they work wonderfully

My vote is always MTi 120* sectors.