Newbie - How to setup individual bandwidth restrictions for customers

I have  experience using PMP100 and PMP430, but recently we purchased GPS synced epmp 1000 5ghz. It was easy to setup QOS for subscriber bandwidth limits with PMP100 and 430, but I have tried looking around GUI and seem alittle confused with the process using EPMP. 

Im sure I am only a step or two away from figuring it out, but wanted some feedback. I currently have software 2.6.1 running on AP and Force 200.

Hi,

To set the QOS on the AP for the SM bandwidth, you can use the MIR option of AP under Configure >> Quality Of Service and follow the below steps.

1. Enable the MIR settings.

2. Alocote the MIR profile number, Description, Downlink and Uplink MIR.

3. On the SM Configure >> Quality Of Service, set the MIR profile number you created on the AP.

Options like Burst alocation is not yet available on the radio and this feature is under consideration for the future release.

Regards,

Sanjay Kumar

1 Like

Support_Sanjay wrote:  Options like Burst alocation is not yet available on the radio and this feature is under consideration for the future release.

+1  :)

Thank You

Can someone confirm a few things for me?

I actually would like to get this setup, I'm currently restricting from the router.

• So you have to setup the restriction from the AP and then match that up with a profile with the CPE?
  • What if the CPE moves to a different AP, does that profile also have to be setup on all available AP's?
  • Is that profile interchangable and can go across multiple AP's?
  • If I multiple plans I have to setup those profiles on the AP's and match the CPE profile with that of the AP?

For example 15/2, 10/10, 5/5, etc.  I would have to setup those profiles on all the AP's first, then the client?

Seems kind of backwards to have to set it up in both place and on multiple AP's, but there isn't a way to restrict the CPE to a certain up and down?

Thanks,

Ryo

Ryo Haines wrote:

Can someone confirm a few things for me?

I actually would like to get this setup, I'm currently restricting from the router.

• So you have to setup the restriction from the AP and then match that up with a profile with the CPE?
  • Yes, you specify the MIR profiles on the AP, and then specify the appropriate MIR profile number on the SM.
  • What if the CPE moves to a different AP, does that profile also have to be setup on all available AP's?
  • If the SM is using a profile number that doesn't exist, it will use the default profile. If the SM is using a MIR profile number that is defined differently on another AP, it will use that AP's definition.
  • Is that profile interchangable and can go across multiple AP's?
  • It can be if you've defined the same MIR profiles and numbers on all AP's that the SM would be able to access.
  • If I multiple plans I have to setup those profiles on the AP's and match the CPE profile with that of the AP?
  • Not sure I understand this question. You will most likely need to setup the same MIR profiles and numbers across all AP's on your network. That is how most ePMP operators configure their MIR profiles.

For example 15/2, 10/10, 5/5, etc.  I would have to setup those profiles on all the AP's first, then the client?

Seems kind of backwards to have to set it up in both place and on multiple AP's, but there isn't a way to restrict the CPE to a certain up and down?

Yes, you would setup your MIR profiles on all AP's, and then specify the MIR profile number on the SM. There is no way to directly configure an MIR on the SM. You will need to use an MIR profile created on the AP and then assign that profile number to the SM for an MIR to take effect.

2 Likes

Hi Ryo, 

Eric has all the right answers. But if you are looking for a centralized way to assign MIR limits to SMs regardless of the AP, then you will have to do it via RADIUS VSAs. But that of course requires your SM/CPEs to authenticate with a RADIUS server. 

Thanks,

Sriram

>Seems kind of backwards to have to set it up in both place and on multiple AP's,
>but there isn't a way to restrict the CPE to a certain up and down? 

Well, each method has it's pros-cons I guess.  On our older (non-Cambium) gear, we could type the rule into each CPE. That had it's benefits of simplicity and flexibility, but it also meant that one CPE with a typo and that client might have unlimited speed, or might only be getting 200 Kbit instead of 2000 kbit by accident too. We've had both situations happen over the years.  :)

With ePMP - you define numbered profiles on the AP, and then assign numbers to the SM's.

So - for example, you can have three plans like this....

and then in a customer's SM, you would simply tell that SM to use whatever Profile # you want, like this...

So, if you assign different plans/profiles/numbers on each AP - and if you have SM's moving from AP to AP, then that will cause problems.  If profile 3 on one AP is a 3Mbit plan, and if profile 3 is a 10 Mbit plan on another AP - and if you have a SM set to profile 3 that moves from tower to tower, the it'd get the new profile 3 settings from the AP that it's connected to.

The simplest solution is to be consistent with your profile numbers and settings on all APs. :)

2 Likes

Perfect, makes much better sense now...

Many thanks...