News about developing Force300 ePTP mode in next firmware???

Hi,

It's been more than an year that Force300 comes out and latency in ptp are terrible compared to other competitors.... any news about developing new firmware with ePTP mode support in the next weeks / months?

We've customers that are pretty tired of bad latency links...

Regards,

Paolo

Hi,

ePTP will be released with the 4.5 release later this fall.

Thanks,

Dmitry

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!! Finally... I can't wait to get a try!!

Best regards,

Paolo

Shoot me an e-mail at dmitry.moiseev@cambiumnetworks.com if you want to test it before it becomes publicly available.

Thanks,

Dmitry

Of course! I've sent you an email. I've a pair of Force300 I could give it a try.

Best regards,

Paolo

Hi Dmitry,

I've tested that fw and I've written you back in email my impressions... it's almost unusable in eptp mode, I think it needs a lot of testing yet.

Any news when a public beta will come out?

We are seeing the opposite, but I do not know the version you are using. We are using 4.5-R22.

We are tying 2 fiber fed networks together and passing OSPF and BGP over a pair of force 300CSM in ePTP mode. Been using it for 3 weeks or so now with no issues. We have purposely dropped the fiber inputs on the Tik routers at these towers late at night, and traffic flows in/out router on other side as it should. In a 20Mhz channel we see ~155Mbps aggregate. 

I use our network at my home. I have a public IP routed to me from other side of link. It goes from Tik <> Netonix <>F300CSM <------->F300CSM <> TIK <> Netonix <> PTP550 <----->PTP550 <>Tik <> Netonix <> 3000 <-----> My F300-16. We watch Netfix HDR, and have 2 Xbox Ones playing Fort Nite also with no issues. Our cell phones make calls via WiFi (on a regular basis since cell service is weak at my home), Google Hangouts, etc works fine as well. My traffic and one other customers traffic is the only traffic purosely routed across this link at this time. Our fiber providers almost never go down, so we saw this as a good link to test ePTP mode.

What we do see is latency varies from 1-4ms instead of 1-2ms of the F200's. It is still better than latency of TDD PTP mode. 

@paolo-pftech wrote:

Hi Dmitry,

I've tested that fw and I've written you back in email my impressions... it's almost unusable in eptp mode, I think it needs a lot of testing yet.

Any news when a public beta will come out?

1 Like

I'm not sure that the public forums is where Cambium wants us to discuss about the private alphas and betas, do they?  :)  FWIW, I'm having very encouraging results with ePTP in the Private Beta, average ~2ms latency - but again, I'm not sure Cambium wants us talking about the Private Beta's in the public forums. :)

2 Likes

Well we tried RC22 too.... we never get F300 links to comes up and become stable. We tried over two links, one at about 4 km and the other one at about 15 km far. Both tried 20 / 40 / 80 Mhz. Then we reverted to PTP TDD and it worked immediately...

I've written Dmitry about these issues but I've never got an answer!!!

That's the reasons that I wrote here...

I think Cambium developing plans over F300 are really too slow... it's more than 1 year that we use a lot of F300 links with bad latency performance. We're getting frustated.

@ninedd wrote:

I'm not sure that the public forums is where Cambium wants us to discuss about the private alphas and betas, do they?  :)  

Good point. I know a lot of people are waiting for ePTP mode to come out. I didn't want them to think there was a ton of issues with it and way behind schedule for release. I have no idea of release time, I just know it works well for us. I am making this forum post across our link. 

2 Likes

Yes, that was why I chimed in too. I didn’t want readers to think that ePTP beta was working poorly for all testers either.

Our ePTP mode testing is also very encouraging. We are seeing lower, flatter, more consistent latency (averaging about 2ms) with ePTP private beta. As far as I know, v 4.5 should be out in the next several weeks, but anyone who has written software knows… it’s ready when it’s ready. :slight_smile:

I do wish there was some direction from Cambium regarding a more formal and organized private method to discuss the private beta. Having that would probably help Paolo’s situation.

1 Like

Hi Paolo,

I’ve somehow missed your email and never followed up, my bad. Fair enough to poke me in public. I will come back to you on Monday.

As the other guys mentioned in general the feedback on ePTP was pretty positive and we fixed some issue since end of September when you gave it a try.

Dmitry

Hi all, Hi Dmitry,

no problem at all.... just I've stopped trying that fw since it was almost useless for us.

Please let me know if you want me to give a try maybe with a new release, I've always some link where we can do test... in the wild! :)

Regards,

Paolo

Hi there,

new reserved F300 beta fw seems to works very well in eptp mode!!! Latency is stable and always stays over 2-3 ms (on a 10 km link). Bandwidth works very well, better than TDD obviously.

Can't wait to put our hands over final release!!! Keep doing this good job.

Best regards,

Paolo

3 Likes

Just an update of our testing with the 4.5BETA-RC54 in ePTP mode.
Less than 2.2 ms average latency and .380ms deviation.

rtt min / avg / max / mdev = 1.621 / 2.192 / 2.758 / 0.380 ms

ePTP ModeForce300 Point to Point link - about 4KM

PING 10.0.0.45 (10.0.0.45) 32(60) bytes of data.
40 bytes from 10.0.0.45: icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=2.33 ms
40 bytes from 10.0.0.45: icmp_req=2 ttl=64 time=2.14 ms
40 bytes from 10.0.0.45: icmp_req=3 ttl=64 time=2.28 ms
40 bytes from 10.0.0.45: icmp_req=4 ttl=64 time=2.61 ms
40 bytes from 10.0.0.45: icmp_req=5 ttl=64 time=2.75 ms
40 bytes from 10.0.0.45: icmp_req=6 ttl=64 time=1.62 ms
40 bytes from 10.0.0.45: icmp_req=7 ttl=64 time=2.07 ms
40 bytes from 10.0.0.45: icmp_req=8 ttl=64 time=2.59 ms
40 bytes from 10.0.0.45: icmp_req=9 ttl=64 time=1.68 ms
40 bytes from 10.0.0.45: icmp_req=10 ttl=64 time=1.81 ms

--- 10.0.0.45 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9012ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.621/2.192/2.758/0.380 ms

For comparision, the results on the same link in TDD PTP mode were already pretty good.  The difference above results (ePTP mode) and below results (TDD PTP mode) is simply upgrading the Firmware and changing to ePTP mode.  For me - ePTP mode on Force300s is working pretty nicely. 

TDD PTP ModeForce300 Point to Point link

10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9015ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.095/3.406/5.666/1.449 ms

4 Likes