Nine months

It’s been pretty close to nine months since the software build date on 7.3.6. There are known co-locate problems and issues with ICMP storms. No V8 software release or even a stable fixes release yet.

Has Motorola abandoned the unlicensed Canopy product? This is probably the buggiest and least supported hardware product line I’ve purchased in 15 years as an ISP and more than 20 as a systems integrator. I’d really like to know, so that I can make emergency plans.

becarefull Shaman666, or your nick maybe change to Shaman999 :lol:

I’ve got over $1M invested. You can bet I’ll be coming back, too.

Sigh.

I certainly hope they come up with something soon. I too am getting very impatient.

A. We have invested substantially more in Canopy equipment than the sum Shaman666 mentioned.

B. We’re still having issues with Canopy SM management interfaces doing weird things like responding to OSPF advertisements. Very ugly when a few hundred icmp destination unreachable packets are generated on a network segment because the SM decides to be bizarre. (Thousands of packets before we started properly breaking the network into pieces)

C. VLANs are buggy. I’m really looking forward to the SM separation features that are advertised to be in V8

Motorola, Motorola, where art thou?

JTN39,
I’m not familiar with the OSPF advertisement response issue. Can you elaborate on the VLAN issues? Also, has this been reported to our technical support center? If so I would need your company name, phone number, and your name (in a private message) so I can look up the call records. If there is a way to reproduce the issue we will work towards a solution.

Posting an issue to this forum will NOT get the same visibility as an escalated support case. Keep in mind this is a user community that was created to be used as a knowledge sharing media between users. It has grown rapidly and it is very difficult to read every post.

We would be more than happy to remediate the issues you have mentioned. We need more details.

And yet, no comment on V8…

Argh, I smell Mutiny in the air!

Canopy_Support wrote:
JTN39,
I'm not familiar with the OSPF advertisement response issue. Can you elaborate on the VLAN issues? Also, has this been reported to our technical support center? If so I would need your company name, phone number, and your name (in a private message) so I can look up the call records. If there is a way to reproduce the issue we will work towards a solution.

Posting an issue to this forum will NOT get the same visibility as an escalated support case. Keep in mind this is a user community that was created to be used as a knowledge sharing media between users. It has grown rapidly and it is very difficult to read every post.

We would be more than happy to remediate the issues you have mentioned. We need more details.

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the OSPF response issue, it seems that OSPF is not the the only protocol that causes this behaviour. Other multicast traffic seems to have a similar effect. Also, RIP traffic can cause the same symptoms of storming. We did open up a trouble ticket with support on this a good while back, and included network captures, etc. The support team claimed this could not be happening, but did not respond after we sent the aforementioned capture. :)

We've since constructed tedious ACLs to help alleviate the problems caused by the traffic, but as we begin rolling out OSPF, this obviously becomes more difficult. (Can't block everything anymore)

I'll put together some data, and contact support again on the issue. The primary reason I've posted here is in hopes that another ISP will have experienced similar issues and have some insight into the problem. Canopy Support team members, while helpful, often seem to not have much field experience. Labs+Theory != Reality in my experience. :-\'

Regarding the VLAN problems, they've mostly amounted to general weirdness. Random customers' equipment deciding not to work for some odd reason, and vlan stats showing all packets being filtered regardless of membership settings. Eventually, things begin working again, but the unpredictable behaviour at times is just a pain.

Fortunately, we had only rolled VLAN settings out to about 450-500 customers, and we're almost finished undoing the settings on this group. We'll probably not continue investing time on it, and just wait for version 8. 8)
jtn39 wrote:
[quote="Canopy_Support":tbxzgaif]We'll probably not continue investing time on it, and just wait for version 8. 8)
[/quote:tbxzgaif]

I am frankly starting to wonder if there will be a v8. It looks to me like they may be dropping unlicensed Canopy gear entirely, given their investment in Orthagonal/MotoWi4 gear and their apparent lack of concern about ongoing firmware issues with Canopy gear.

It's pathetic that a multi-billion dollar company is treating its customers this way, especially with the cost and quantity of the gear that we are buying. If Motorola is about to eat its young, I'd sure like to know.
Labs+Theory != Reality in my experience. :-\'

I see there is a fellow C++ programmer in this forum!
msmith wrote:
Labs+Theory != Reality in my experience. :-\'

I see there is a fellow C++ programmer in this forum!

Motorola should really open-source the firmware. Programmers of the Canopy Community, Unite! :)

About this time last year is when we were all waiting on 7.2 to come out.

Speaking of software developers… if there are any pros on this forums can you PM me? Thanks

Zach

For an update regarding release 8.0 please listen to the June webinar. You can find our webinars at http://motorola.canopywireless.com/video/

So what I get from that is this month!

I have my doubts whether we’ll see a v8 this month. Even if it’s released today, it doesn’t excuse Motorola’s sloth in fixing the known issues.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
So what I get from that is this month!

Absolutely, I can not think of any ways to interpert "next month" in June as anything other then July.

What's the emoticon for "drumming your fingers on the desk?"
ahull wrote:
[quote="Jerry Richardson":2ytgldsw]So what I get from that is this month!

Absolutely, I can not think of any ways to interpert "next month" in June as anything other then July.

What's the emoticon for "drumming your fingers on the desk?"[/quote:2ytgldsw]

*image removed by me for various reasons...

Even assuming that 8.0 was getting a thorough workout, fixing known issues might have been done in a 7.4.x. I am taking a guess, but it may have been that moto felt they had sufficient workarounds to keep things going and not divert resources from 8.0.

The real failure on Moto’s part is the utter lack of response to inquirys. Even a simple “We are working on it, it’s coming, we’ll let you know so quit asking” would have been enough for me.

While my network has been running fine (actually with 7.3.6 better than ever), I was getting impatient becasue I would like to implement the new features of 8.0, not because I ws having any problems.

I know that we will be seeing Canopy Tech support around here a little more so for that I am grateful.

I have seen the version 8, probably one of the beta build, but looks cool.

But then i would prefer all main config to be under one screen !

Lets wait and see !!

abdock wrote:
looks cool

As far as I'm concerned, they can put goatse on every page as long as they fix their problems in a timely fashion.

I'll make no apologies for my criticisms.

I have to agree that Moto goofed on mentioning V8 so much, then running so far behind on the release.

Having said that, I would concur w/ Jerry… Moto should just admit they are behind, and make some sort of statement…