NLOS question

hello all, i use motorola 5.7Mhz equipment with no problem. but i have an issue now. i need to send internet to 3 houses that are behind thick trees and very tall palm trees (30 mts). the sm will be on the roof of the houses and the ap will be on a hill like 60 mts from ground. they will be separated like 3 miles (ap from sm). i’m thinking on using 900mhz radios. does anybody think this will work? also, does the 900mhz radio does multipath? a friend wants to buy trango equipment, but since i’m already using motorola, mind as well try this.thanks

rapanuii wrote:
hello all, i use motorola 5.7Mhz equipment with no problem. but i have an issue now. i need to send internet to 3 houses that are behind thick trees and very tall palm trees (30 mts). the sm will be on the roof of the houses and the ap will be on a hill like 60 mts from ground. they will be separated like 3 miles (ap from sm). i'm thinking on using 900mhz radios. does anybody think this will work? also, does the 900mhz radio does multipath? a friend wants to buy trango equipment, but since i'm already using motorola, mind as well try this.thanks

900 shouldn't have any issues doing what you talk about. it is quite a bit slower than the 5.7ghz equipment tho. 4mbit aggregate.

thanks a lot for your response. does it matter which equipment do i buy or do you recommend one in particular?

also, if you have had some experience with this frecuency or this scenario, the most db’s on the antenna the better right? regards

rapanuii wrote:
thanks a lot for your response. does it matter which equipment do i buy or do you recommend one in particular?

i've always been a fan of the motorola canopy system, especially when you're already using it in the network. the main thing to be aware of with 900mhz is potential interference.

i personally like to check available spectrum using spectrum analyzer before installing anything. old cordless phones, baby monitors etc will all interfere with the 900 radios, so be sure to check/educate your customers prior to leaving the site.

motorola recommends a signal 10dB above the noise floor, so its wise to check the noise floor prior to deployment. We use integrated canopy 900mhz panels for cpe & they work well thru the trees.

regarding antenna gain, its all receive gain so they may be able pull in more from the AP but it wont help when talking back to the AP. we use the integrated units & have also used 17db yagi antennas on connectorized radios. complications come with connectorized equipment, so unless you are shooting thru Sherwood Forrest, i'd recommend the integrated units.

hello again, do you know where can i buy antennas for 900mhz equipment of around 20db’s or more? are even there of that much db’s?

rapanuii wrote:
hello again, do you know where can i buy antennas for 900mhz equipment of around 20db's or more? are even there of that much db's?

i personally havent seen or used anything with that high of gain & i'm not sure its required. 17db is the biggest one we've used & its 6 feet long.

can you describe the amount of trees you're trying to go through? is it like a hedge row, or a half mile forest of trees?

we have 900 shots passing thru much worse situations without any trouble. the area you described will be a butter shot for the 900 radios. I agree with the conectorized comes with headach comment. motorola picked nice anteannas to go with there system. stick with the standard unit, look at the sectrum and watch some magic happen.