on the PMP 450 in 3.65 what is the capacity and at what speeds?

What is the capacity per sector, also at what speed packages or the average speed per customer? We are getting 4 90 degree sectors and want to service a town of about 5,500 at speeds up to 6 meg down 1 meg up and dont want to overload the sectors. Also with the new opening of the 100 mhz we will have a total of 150mhz of spectrum. What channel width would be best for optimization?

The capacity per sector is just like all the other PMP450 products, i.e. up to 125 mbps per sector using a 20MHz channel width, under ideal conditions, assuming everyone is achiving 256QAM.

If your goal is to pack as many people onto a sector as possible, you will need to work very hard to ensure that they all have a really good signal and high modulation. If you stick to this method you will be able to put many many 6/1 clients on each sector, probably around 100 per sector.

When you talk about the new opening of the 100MHz, I assume you're talking about the newly formed CBRS that adds 3.55-3.65. At the moment that 100Mhz is not available for use in the US as the rules for CBRS are still being finalized.

PMP450 3.X supports 5/10/20MHz channel widths. In FCC/3.65 land, 10MHz and 20Mhz channel widths are optimal due to the additional TX power/allowed EIRP under the old rules. With CBRS rules around the corner, you will only be able to use a maximum of 10MHz channel widths.

Lastly, unless you've already secured the non-exclusive lite-license from the FCC for 3.65 prior to April 2015, you will not be able to get one (they are no longer issuing new licenses), and cannot legally deploy this equipment until the CBRS rules are finalized and new licenses are issued. If you do have a license you obtained prior to April 2015, then you will need to make sure that all of your base station and subscriber equipment is registered with the FCC prior to April of this year in order to be considered for grand father extension status when the new CBRS rules come into play.

3 Likes

As usual, Eric, you're a font of information... just want to clarify a couple things.

First, there are ways to obtain a nation-wide license for 3.65 GHz under the Part 90 subpart Z rules (i.e. "the old rules"), but not via the FCC.  You can get one transferred from a license holder that no longer wants or needs it.  We have heard of a number of people doing this.  If this is required, you may want to try to post a message asking for help in doing this at the WISPA forum mailing list.

Second, only sites registered before April 17, 2015 (last year, not this year) are considered as part of your protected contour (i.e. "grandfathered protection").  Anything done after that is not protected under those same rules.  You can still register new sites, but they will be granted under GAA (General Authorized Access) under CBRS.

There is a lot of information and additional questions/answers available in this very forum!  Check it out here

Feel free to post additional discussion here (for 3.65 GHz equipment or capacity questions) or there (for questions on the rules around CBRS)...

Thanks!

@CambiumMatt wrote:

Second, only sites registered before April 17, 2015 (last year, not this year) are considered as part of your protected contour (i.e. "grandfathered protection").  Anything done after that is not protected under those same rules.  You can still register new sites, but they will be granted under GAA (General Authorized Access) under CBRS.

From what I've read, and correct me if I'm wrong, base station locations needed to be registered by April 17 2015, while subscriber station locations can still be registered until mid april of this year and will be used to determine grandfather status's protected contours. That's why it's so important to register the location of your SM's... because if you only registered your base stations and no SM's, then you forfeit grandfather protection.

Not exactly how I am interpreting that... take a look at Scott's post here, which has the "Reminder Notice" that the FCC issued last June.

It states the following:

"Specifically, “grandfathered” licensees will be protected from harmful interference within a contour around base or fixed stations only if: (1) the stations were registered in the Commission’s Universal Licensing System (ULS) on or before April 17, 2015; and (2) as of a year later (April 17, 2016) the stations are constructed, in service, and fully compliant with the relevant operating rules."

I take that to mean that the stations were registered before, but need to be in operation 1 year from that date to be considered.  We also heard (unofficially) that the protected contour would be some range around a base station, and the SM locations really didn't matter, but that is still nebulous and ill-defined.

Yes we are already grandfathered in we have been using 3.65 for about 5-6 years now

That is what I gathered. We are grandfathered in pretty much our whole county due to haveing 2 tower locations. Our engineering firm who deals with FCC and all this red tape has told us that our sites have been registered for about 5-6 years now that we are grandfathered in and they are supposed to be opening up that 100 mhz like next month. We only have our sites registered not SM's which is in the range of 450 plus subs.

@snorthway wrote:

We only have our sites registered not SM's which is in the range of 450 plus subs.

You better talk to your engineering firm ASAP... because if Matt's right... you're not going to get grandfather status because you didn't register your SM's by April 17th 2015... if I'm right, then you have until April 17th 2016 to register those SM's.