Only certain VLAN to SM?

Let’s say I have an AP attached to a trunk port that has VLAN 200 and 300.

Is there a way to have SM 1 only accept VLAN 200 traffic and have SM 2 only accept VLAN 300 traffic? I know I could have the switch attached to the SM have a trunk port that only accepts the proper VLAN, but I’m wondering if it can be enforced by the SM?

Also, unrelated, if I also have VLAN 500 for management, and I have dynamic learning disabled, do I need to add VLAN 500 to the VLAN membership table?

Is there a way to have SM 1 only accept VLAN 200 traffic and have SM 2 only accept VLAN 300 traffic? I know I could have the switch attached to the SM have a trunk port that only accepts the proper VLAN, but I'm wondering if it can be enforced by the SM?

Yes. You can do it by
- Disabling "Dynamic Learning" on the SM, AND
- Add the VLAN Id, you would like the SM to pass thru, to the SM's VLAN membership table.

@loganmc10 
Also, unrelated, if I also have VLAN 500 for management, and I have dynamic learning disabled, do I need to add VLAN 500 to the VLAN membership table?

Regardless of whether dynamic learning is enabled or not, Management VLAN Id will be automatically added to the VLAN membership table. You don't have to add it manually.

2 Likes

Wondering if others agree with the following and are handling it the same way...

If AP has VLAN enabled then SM is forced to also have VLAN enabled.

When connecting a CCTV camera (for example) directly to the SM, the camera can't handle VLAN tagging so some additional configuration is required in the SM.

We usually set the Default Port VID to be the VLAN that we want to camera to belong to.

Another way to accomplish the same thing is to add the camera's MAC to the Port VID Address Mapping table.

Enabling the Default alternative LAN1 IP Addess is very useful for connecting to the SM with a laptop in this scenario.

Thanks

1 Like