Packets on disconnected ethernet?

OK, is this a bug or am I missing something?

On an SM that has had no ethernet connected since reboot, why do I see packets/bytes both outbound and inbound?? Find (or set up) an SM connected to an AP with no ethernet link, then watch the stats. (all SMs I have handy are 900mhz running 9.5) I can accept outbound packets, given that things like broadcasts would still be routed out, though I’d expect with ethernet disconnected it would just register zero. But where are the counted inbound packets over ethernet supposed to be coming from??

j

the canopy gear is a “bridged” ptmp system… packets that go to the radio are just relayed to the eithernet… they will show as packets sent and tick eithernet error counts… when you log in, compair your radio to eithernet stats and they will be very close (you login in will off set some of the data so they won’t match entirely)

if you turn on nat, you won’t see this, but you also have set the radio to act as a router to a degree anyway.
but its normal so don’t sweat it

mgthump wrote:
the canopy gear is a "bridged" ptmp system... packets that go to the radio are just relayed to the eithernet... they will show as packets sent and tick eithernet error counts... when you log in, compair your radio to eithernet stats and they will be very close (you login in will off set some of the data so they won't match entirely)

if you turn on nat, you won't see this, but you also have set the radio to act as a router to a degree anyway.
but its normal so don't sweat it

Thanks, but as I said my real question is why it shows packets RECEIVED on ethernet when there's no ethernet link.

j

It is a Bridged network so anything to radio, broadcast or what ever will come back and count that stat even without eithernet… its kind of dumb but thats the way it is. the only radio data that will not show is direct from the web interface.

If you have nat turned on the radio is no longer just a bridge and the couter will stop.

Sounds like Moto is counting packets in the wrong place. If it was considering the “SM Internal Management Interface” as permanently connected to the ethernet port, I think this is the only case where showing received packets in a bridged setup would make sense. I would also expect the counter to be tied to traffic on that physical interface though.