Pacwirless POE and Surge?

Has anyone used these?

Any comments?

http://www.pacwireless.com/products/POE.shtml

http://motorola.motowi4solutions.com/su ... hlight=pac

Somehow my search did not bring that up.

I guess that means they are happy with them. But sounds like he is basically asking the same question. Are there any more people using these? Does anyone see any downsides?

I wouldn’t hesitate to use them - absolutely no difference between these and any other POE injector.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
I wouldn't hesitate to use them - absolutely no difference between these and any other POE injector.

Actually it's not so much the POE part that I am curious about, but rather the supposed built-in surge-arrest. One supplier writes the following:

"This unit grounds into the plug inside the house, as opposed to MOTO which has to be grounded outside. So there is no need for grounding box outside. It takes one less cable and it protects both the SM and the CPE of the customer. It grounds all 4 wires."

This totally goes against MOTO's installation guidelines which says that the surge suppressor has to be mounted OUTSIDE. My understanding there was that in case anything gets hit, you do not want the wire carrying the surge to actually carry the surge INTO the client's house.

Other than peace of mind, do those Moto surge suppressors really work as well as Motorola would like you to think?

I find I use them more to make the installation look prettier (as in a box like the telephone company would install on the outside of the house). It also gives me a junction point should I ever need to move the antenna and need a longer cable run. I do run a wire from the box to a grounding point just for good measure, but I sometimes wonder if it will really help.

The 300 and 600 series protectors truly help against component destruction due to static. I can say that from experience. Obviously direct strikes will blow anything up though.

Actually NEC (and I think NFPA too) require all comm device cabling be protected before entering the building. If you ask any regular Motorola engineer or tech (that is worth their weight) they will also point to R56 site construction and grounding requirements which allow protection at the primary cable entrance so long as it is bonded to the MGB.