Parasitic direction

Hello,

I went out and purchased a Packetsync parasitic was curious about how this should be implemented??

Now I’m no engineering guru so I maybe asking a dumb question here. Am I to cut holes in the bottom of the rubbers cap to get the cable to the rj-45 connector, and then figure out how I am to mount this near the AP? For 119$ I was hoping I wouldn’t have to cut things :slight_smile:

I’m also guessing this is a good deal for a GPS unit, but a manual would have been great…

Anyways after we figure this one out we will be ready for 4 more units to complete out GPS syncing.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We make a small 2’ long offset bracket out of angle iron and have a ubolt on each end - one to attach to the pipe the AP is on and one to attach the parasitic to. I cut a small hole in the rubber grommet on the bottom and run all three cables through there. It works quite well. We try to keep the offset bracket aimed to the southern sky.

As for the port layout - the unit doesn’t care which cable goes in which ethernet jack. You can have the tower feed going in either one and the AP feed going in the other one. The timing cable is (obviously) the only one that has to go in a specific port.

Again, sorry for the neophytness of my questions here, although they are valid questions to me

Should we be using the timing port to gain sync or is using the power ok?

Reason I ask is b/c there wasn’t atiming cable that came with nor any instructions or manual.

Thanks again,

Tim

Yes - you will need to use the timing cable in order to provide sync to your AP. Pins 1, 3 and 6 should be the only pins you need to connect on your timing cable. Only 1 and 6 are required for sync but pint 3 will provide sync info to your APs/BHMs.

I usually mount these to an L bracket that come with the pacific wireless grid reflectors. I attached the syncpipe to the bracket using stainless hole clamps. For running the cable into the pipe I cut a hole in the bottom cap and put in a box connector that tightens down around the cables run through it(I can’t think of the technical name right now).

I was under the impression that the sync pipe units provided sync over the power-data line… please correct me if I am wrong

thanks

Harry wrote:
I was under the impression that the sync pipe units provided sync over the power-data line.... please correct me if I am wrong

thanks

This is straight from the packetflux website
"The SyncPipe has three jacks in it's interior - two RJ45's which act as a PoE passthrough, allowing the SyncPipe to borrow enough power to operate, and a single 6P6C jack which provides sync to the attached radio via a customer-provided 6 Pin Modular (RJ11-like) cable."

You have to run a sync cable from the third port in the device to give your device GPS sync.

Here are the official answers:

tyarber wrote:

Now I’m no engineering guru so I maybe asking a dumb question here. Am I to cut holes in the bottom of the rubbers cap to get the cable to the rj-45 connector, and then figure out how I am to mount this near the AP? For 119$ I was hoping I wouldn’t have to cut things :slight_smile:

Yes, cut or drill as you feel necessary. We used to slice the cap with a knife and numerous customers told us that they felt better drilling a hole - so they were tossing the cap and getting a replacement one locally. Others said that the slice was preferrable to a drilled hole since they could push a premade cable through. So we elected to leave it as it came from the factory, and let the customer decide.

I’m also guessing this is a good deal for a GPS unit, but a manual would have been great…

There should have been a one sheet piece of paper in the package which provides enough information to get started (and answers most of the questions here). If it wasn’t included, I apologize.

You can also see the online documenation at http://manuals.packetflux.com/ . It should be noted that this is still very much a work in progress, as we collect our existing documents and put them into place. We’ve also got a bit of site layout to do.

Heya Forrestc

Thanks for the reply. We did get it up and running good and we are very happy and can’t wait to deploy.

The only thing my super want to know if there is a way to login to it through web interface or telnet maybe? I told him I seriously doubt it, but I would ask none the less :slight_smile:

Again thanks,

Tim

tyarber wrote:
Heya Forrestc

Thanks for the reply. We did get it up and running good and we are very happy and can't wait to deploy.

The only thing my super want to know if there is a way to login to it through web interface or telnet maybe? I told him I seriously doubt it, but I would ask none the less :)

Again thanks,

Tim

There is no web interface on these units. If you connect pin 3 in the sync cable it will populate the GPS screen on the AP though.
tyarber wrote:
The only thing my super want to know if there is a way to login to it through web interface or telnet maybe? I told him I seriously doubt it, but I would ask none the less :)

As wifiguy said, there isn't such an option... however if you ensure pin3 is connected, all of the available data will appear on the GPS status screen in the Canopy AP...

With one caveat: There is a known issue with P9 AP's not showing the data correctly. This is a motorola problem which affects all Sync sources.

-forrest