PMP 450 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: Where can I find basic information about the PMP 450 product, including specifications, ordering guide, and case studies?
A: The PMP 450 product web page has links to all of this information and more.

Q: What speeds can the PMP 450 deliver?
A: Each Access Point (AP) can deliver up to 125 Mbps of throughput. A six sector ring of APs will deliver up to 540 Mbps. Two rings stacked can deliver more than 1 Gbps of throughput from a single tower location.

Q: What are the antenna configurations of the PMP 450 Access Point?
A: The PMP 450 AP is connectorized and can be configured with a high performance 6 sector dual mode (FSK and OFDM) antenna or a high performance 4 sector OFDM antenna. Broadband operators may choose a different option that might better meet their network requirements, provided the operator remains compliant with local regulations.

Q: Can I co-locate a PMP 450 AP on the same tower with a 100 series or 430 series AP?
A: Yes. The PMP 450 AP can co-exist on the same AP tower as any or all of the following access points:
100 Series FSK, 320 Series 802.16e, and 430 Series OFDM. Refer to the PMP 450 Planning Guide (when released) for detailed information on collocation of APs and network frequency planning. 

Q: What are the PMP 450 Subscriber Module antenna configurations?
A: The Subscriber Module (SM) comes with a dual pole integrated 9 dBi antenna. A passive LENS can be attached to provide a total of 14 dBi gain, or it can be fitted with a passive reflector dish to provide a total of 24 dBi gain. These extend range or could enable higher modulations (therefore more throughput) at the same range.

Q: What kind of PMP 450 Subscriber Module options are available to buy? Can I upgrade them?
A: The Subscriber Modules (SMs) are tiered to your capacity needs. Four models of the PMP 450 SM will be available at the same throughput levels as PMP 430 was: 4, 10, 20, or uncapped Mbps. A software license key upgrade can be purchased to move between the various levels. The cost difference in moving between levels is the same whether you purchase the model directly or update it in the field.

Q: When will the PMP 450 be interoperable with 430 Series OFDM SM's?
A: The PMP 450 AP is available now. Interoperability with 430 Series OFDM SMs was released in 2Q, 2013. This compatibility is awailable via software upgrade, on R12.2.2 or later.

Q: When is the PMP 450 available?
A: The PMP 450 Access Point and Subscriber Module are available now. Contact your Cambium Networks reseller for more information.

Q: When ordering the AP, what exactly will I need to purchase?
A: You will need to order the Access Point, Sector Antenna and N-to-N cables for each antenna connection separately. Power Supplies are sold separately, so you'll also need to think about how you'll power the unit (whether standalone or via a CMM3 or CMM4), and if surge suppression is required (it's optional at the AP, as there is surge suppression built onto the PMP 450). Please consult the Ordering Guide for additional information and part numbers.

Q: Will PMP 450 subscribers burst beyond their keyed throughput limits?
A: Yes, similar to PMP 100 and PMP 430, the subscribers can be configured to burst beyond their keyed limit until the burst bucket is emptied. Also, per many customer requests, the burst bucket is now 2.5 Gb! After the burst bucket is empty, your sustained throughput will be limited to the subscriber tier you have purchased.

In this thread, I will be happy to answer any questions you might have on PMP 450 if I am able to.

You can post your question here, email me at matt@cambiumnetworks.com, or contact me via Twitter @CambiumMatt

What is the max distance of the AP with a 60° antenna? A 90° antenna?

OK, so I have a large base of PMP100 series SMs in the field. Once I have the new APs in place (with compatibility license) I plan on doing a gradual upgrade to the 450 SMs.

Will the 450 AP deliver the full 90MB even to the 100 series SMs? I know the hardware limitations of the SMs as far as bandwidth goes. Just curious if each SM can be maxed out to its full potential simultaneously using the new APs.

scuba wrote:
What is the max distance of the AP with a 60° antenna? A 90° antenna?

Based on link budgets (assuming LOS and ~5dB of fade margin), the maximum distance between a SM with reflector dish and the AP (using either 60° or 90°, they have the same gain) is ~18 miles. We believe this is a somewhat conservative number.

There are maximum range charts available in the planning guide, which was made available on Friday:

http://www.cambiumnetworks.com/support/pmp/software/v2/index.php?tag=pmp450

At that location are the other User Guides, which will provide more insight on the installation, configuration and operation of the PMP 450 system, as well as the release notes on R12.0 system software.
jakkwb wrote:
OK, so I have a large base of PMP100 series SMs in the field. Once I have the new APs in place (with compatibility license) I plan on doing a gradual upgrade to the 450 SMs.

Will the 450 AP deliver the full 90MB even to the 100 series SMs? I know the hardware limitations of the SMs as far as bandwidth goes. Just curious if each SM can be maxed out to its full potential simultaneously using the new APs.

90 Mbps is the maximum capacity of the Access Point (serving the entire sector) assuming ALL subscribers are in the highest modulation mode that the radio supports. When operating in mixed mode (i.e. serving both PMP 100 and PMP 450 subscribers), you will not achieve this.

PMP 100 subscriber throughput does not change. The way to achieve sector capacity gains is to operate with more traffic passing via OFDM, and less via FSK. As you swap out subscribers, less time is spent transmitting to/from FSK SMs, and therefore more time can be spent transmitting at higher modulation OFDM modes (which process data more efficiently). Therefore, your SECTOR capacity goes up, dependent on how much traffic is OFDM vs. FSK.

Changing the AP to the PMP 450 does not, by itself, change in any way the function of your existing FSK subscribers.

Yes, I understand the throughput will be lower when using pmp100 series SMs. I just wanted to know what amount of thoughput I could expect using my existing base of 100 series SMs. The PMP100 series APs are listed at 14MB, so will it be the same or higher?

I want to know how much total bandwidth I will be able to use at a 450AP when all the SMs are 100 series.

jakkwb wrote:
Yes, I understand the throughput will be lower when using pmp100 series SMs. I just wanted to know what amount of thoughput I could expect using my existing base of 100 series SMs. The PMP100 series APs are listed at 14MB, so will it be the same or higher?

I want to know how much total bandwidth I will be able to use at a 450AP when all the SMs are 100 series.

The throughput of your existing subscribers will not change due to swapping out the AP to the PMP 450. If they were operating in 2X FSK (i.e. 14 Mbps), they will continue to do so.

If all subscribers in the sector are PMP 100 SMs, then your total bandwidth remains 14 Mbps (if that's what you were doing before the AP swap).

What kind of cable is used to connect the AP to the antenna? What type of N-type connectors?

scuba wrote:
What kind of cable is used to connect the AP to the antenna? What type of N-type connectors?

We sell a cable (p/n 30009406002) that is the correct length for installation using either our 60 or 90 degree sector antenna. It has a Male N-type connector on each end.

Please see the Ordering Guide under section 2.2 for additional details.

Note that you'll need one of these for each connection, so you'll need two of them to operate in OFDM mode, or three of them if you plan to operate with OFDM and FSK in the same sector.

What is a forward rate of PMP450? Do you have comparison chart with other PMP or PTP?

I have a spec sheet for the PMP 450 which lists “Nominal Receive Sensitivity (w/FEC) @ 10MHz Channel” as well as "Nominal Receive Sensitivity (w/FEC) @ 20MHz Channel"

The AP and SMs only list a 20MHz channel, as does the Configuration_User_Guide. CNUT 4.1.8 doesn’t seem to be of use for this either.

Does the 450 support 10MHz channels on f/w 12.0? Am I missing something?

Bundhit wrote:
What is a forward rate of PMP450? Do you have comparison chart with other PMP or PTP?

I am not sure what you mean by "forward rate".
dshea wrote:
I have a spec sheet for the PMP 450 which lists "Nominal Receive Sensitivity (w/FEC) @ 10MHz Channel" as well as "Nominal Receive Sensitivity (w/FEC) @ 20MHz Channel"

The AP and SMs only list a 20MHz channel, as does the Configuration_User_Guide. CNUT 4.1.8 doesn't seem to be of use for this either.

Does the 450 support 10MHz channels on f/w 12.0? Am I missing something?

No, 10 MHz channels are not supported with R12.0. However, they WILL be supported via R12.0.1, which is due to be released very shortly...

Bundhit wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by “forward rate”.

I mean the rate of packet that the PMP450 can be forward without any error (packet per second).

Bundhit wrote:
I mean the rate of packet that the PMP450 can be forward without any error (packet per second).

Using RFC2544 test methods, the PMP 450 product is about 12,500 PPS. This is the first release of the PMP 450 platform, and we are looking toward improving this number in future releases.

I’ve been watching the development of your PMP450 for some time and it looks like it will be an outstanding product as that it will allow for in-place upgrades without having to replace everything in the entire deployment all at the same time (doesn’t leave customers hanging out there waiting for a technician to stop by to swap out the antenna. Sounds awesome).

I have just one concern, your literature on this product states that it will be compatible with the PMP100 series SMs via a purchasable license key sometime in the future, but it does not mention which models. We have a deployment of 2.4GHz APs and SMs and are looking at what it would take to upgrade the system, but from what I can see, 2.4GHz isn’t mentioned anywhere in the documentation.

Am I to assume that, for the PMP100 SM models, they are only going to be compatible with those in the 5GHz range?

Oh, and you might want to sticky this thread to the top. It looks like it’s going to be useful.

Apologies for the delayed response to this one, must have missed with the holidays, etc.

You have it correct. PMP 450 5 GHz will be compatible with the 5.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz PMP 100 series.

We are releasing a 2.4 GHz version of the PMP 450 that will be compatible with the 2.4 GHz version of PMP 100.

They are separate SKUs.

CambiumMatt wrote:
Apologies for the delayed response to this one, must have missed with the holidays, etc.

You have it correct. PMP 450 5 GHz will be compatible with the 5.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz PMP 100 series.

We are releasing a 2.4 GHz version of the PMP 450 that will be compatible with the 2.4 GHz version of PMP 100.

They are separate SKUs.

When really plan to realese pmp 450 for 2.4 ?

in manuals for pmp 450 i can't find next settings :
- fixed modulation(limit up modulation) on SM for difficult condition (NLOS, interference, etc)
- fixed tx power at SM, now only automatic power settings ? (need for quickly change condition)

thank's.

I have an AP advantage with 100 registered sm, suppose I replacement by AP450 and keep the 100 registered sm.
Would now begin to register on the new AP450 already SM450 had 100 SM advantage registered, the new SM450 wide band use?, if the AP450 have 90 Mb of bandwidth, the SM450 use the MB that leave free the sm advantage?
The SM Advantage using 14 Mb of APadvantage, the MB would not use the leftover SM Advantage, SM450 could use?
Thanks.-