PMP 450i 900 MHz in North Coast Wireless

PMP 450i at 900 MHz provides streaming video, VoIP, and Internet connectivity in wooded areas where signal fade and high levels of interference. Matt Fridenstine of North Coast Wireless communications shares his experience with the new PMP 450i at 900 MHz. Read the blog post HERE.

2 Likes

That is great to hear.  We've been eyeing the progress and looking for any further updates on the new PMP 450i 900Mhz since the announcement and webinars.  Please continue to push more data and stories on this newly upgraded platform.

I finally got to understand how the new SM will be mounted and connected to the antenna.  How are the RF pigtail cables coming from the antenna into the SM weatherproofed?  It appears that overtime this may be an issue from what I see in the photo, especially in the south-east US.  Can you elaborate further on the weatherproofing of the PMP450i 900MHz SM and the yagi.

Thanks.

The best thing to do is to weatherproof the SMA connectors las you would with an N-type connector. Check out this video  showing the procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-twPfCVq4A

"typically seeing up to 12 Mbps downlink and 3 Mbps uplink with PMP 450i at 900 MHz."

That's pretty poor Cambium.

Was expecting far more speed than that on real world deployments, especially for a newly engineered Cambium product released in 2015.
Was the 900mhz 450i all marketing hype?

Hi test123. Keep in mind that this is a NLOS link with dense trees in a noisy environment, where the 5 GHz solutions with high speeds cannot reach.  Given clear LOS and low noise levels PMP 450i speeds can be higher. Right now, the only 900 MHz option is PMP 100 FSK, which has a much lower throughput.

Check out the PMP 450i 900 MHz webinar for our discussions of the product and performance.

We are being very up front about what to expect.

Hi Test123, We did bench-marking between FSK And 900OFDM products. We see new 900 radio is able to service under strong pager interference under pager reject filter option and NLOS.It also sustains cellular interference without using cavity filters. At present few FSK customers use bulky/costly external filters to do the same under strong out-band interference scenarios. 24/7 Service is guaranteed at a lower price. We have other products that can support higher throughput but not like NLOS mid range distance that 900MHz got own lower frequency operation advantage.