PMP100 support - if cnMaestro can't do it, what should I use instead?

cnMaestro sounds fantastic, but we still have enough PMP100 equipment out there that any solution I use has to support them.

If cnMaestro doesn't have any future plans to support legacy equipment, should I be using CNS or Wireless Manager instead?  Does either have a similar free license for smaller networks?

Thank you for your help!

Anybody?

I've been told that there's not enough memory to support the cnMaestro agent on the PMP100 series... that being said, I have heard the idea tossed around of having cnMaestro use SNMP to connect to PMP100 radios (and other devices for that matter).

There are only two mass management options available for PMP100 currently, Wireless Manager, and CNUT.

1 Like

Good know.  Thanks, Eric!

Actually we built our own tool to insert values into our pmp100's using SNMP.  It really is the only valid way of doing it quickly. 

I personally would love for them to include support via snmp into cnMaestro however the pace at which the demand for bandwidth is rising we are phasing many of them out.  There are very few locations left that will use them in the future.  So supporting them would be as wise as supporting a Tranzeo wifi unit :)

I suppose it's comparable to me asking for support for VAX systems running OpenVMS as well.

We have a lot of remote towers with very small numbers of customers on them, and there isn't much need to upgrade them to 450s as a result.  As time goes by, there will be fewer and fewer of those, so cnMaestro might be our best path forward.

Is there any internal discussion on adding SNMP support, with a procedure for simply monitoring PMP100 devices?

@kelmorewrote:

Is there any internal discussion on adding SNMP support, with a procedure for simply monitoring PMP100 devices?

There's been talk of adding SNMP monitoring for legacy Cambium devices, and possibly even 3rd party devices... BUT Cambium's been buried with projects ATM and my guess is it's pretty low on the to-do list.

If anyone at Cambium sees this, I understand there isn’t enough RAM to support Maestro in a pmp100 SM. But could it be possible to produce a firmware with the cnMaestro client software embedded that removes snmp or other memory clogging/seldomly used features to create the necessary headroom?

@kelmorewrote:
If anyone at Cambium sees this, I understand there isn't enough RAM to support Maestro in a pmp100 SM. But could it be possible to produce a firmware with the cnMaestro client software embedded that removes snmp or other memory clogging/seldomly used features to create the necessary headroom?

People have asked for this and Cambium has said it's not going to happen, one big reason being that some of the core development staff aren't even around anymore, there's no one to actually work on the code... that and the PMP100 along with firmware development is far past EOL. Sorry for the bad news :-(

With PMP 100 EOL'd, we have no plans to open it back up and do further development. The team has been busy with later platforms, i.e 450/450i/450m etc and continue to bring rich new features sets on them . SNMP support on cnMaestro has been talked about but is not planned for any release at this time. 

1 Like

I totally understand the reasoning. It is nice to have an official answer one way or another. Thanks! 

2 Likes