PMP450i clients do not connect after reboot

Dear:

After a simple reboot on the PMP450i (900mhz) 6 clients no longer connected.

I restarted again and 2 connected, but 4 don't. I already removed them from "idle" and the clients can't get a connection.

Has anyone had this problem? How can I solve?

I have forwarded this to our support and development teams.

Did you open a support ticket?

What version of software are you running?

Are there only 6 clients attached to this AP normally, or more than that, but these 6 had issues reconnecting (i.e. the rest reconnected after reboot)?

Hello!

I didn't open a support ticket (yeat)

All clients are at version 16.0.1.1. I have 38 clients connected on this AP.

I noticed something strange: I restarted the AP several times and each time I restarted a client connect. Right now they are all normal.

We too have this same issue with one of our sites.  It takes forever for the SMs to reconnect.

What if you look here:

Statistics -> SM Registration Failures

Post the results.

@Zucchi wrote:

Dear:

After a simple reboot on the PMP450i (900mhz) 6 clients no longer connected.

I restarted again and 2 connected, but 4 don't. I already removed them from "idle" and the clients can't get a connection.

Has anyone had this problem? How can I solve?

Zucchi,

Do you have your External Gain settings set properly on your AP and SMs for their antenna gain? That is one possibility for difficulty registering.

What software are you running? I recommend software 16.0.1.1.

Charlie

1 Like

Charlie,

Thanks for the email.  

I changed the SM & AP external gain.  Rebooted the AP and all SMs.  After all SMs were changed I rebooted the AP again and they came up much quicker.  I appreciate the help.

3 Likes

Scott,

You're welcome. Glad to hear it was fixed. :)

For others and future reference, if you do not configure the External Gains settings, SMs that are close to the AP that are not transmitting at max transmit power might have trouble registering. This is due to the SM's initial Registration Request to the AP power calculation being off and the SM setting too high at transmit power for this first message. Note that once a SM gets registered, the AP correctly adjusts his power to the target, so it is just an registration issue.

For example, if you have your AP External Gain set to 0 dBi (but really have a 10 dBi antenna attached) and your SM set to 0 dBi (but really have a 17 dBi gain attached) your SM will be off by the difference in the antenna gain, 7 dB. Plus all the other factors like alignment, calibrations, reflections it can add up to cause a problem. 

Another work-around is to set your AP's "SM Receive Target Level" setting higher to force the close SMs to transmit higher power. This will help get them registered, but raises the power level for all close SMs. When ideally, you would want to set the "SM Receive Target Level" down to where you are still getting solid 8X in the uplink for those close SMs. As the higher you set it, the more interference you cause for other APs in the sector, like in a A/B/A/B frequency reuse example. Also, higher transmit powers have higher EVM, so the lower you keep your transmit power, the cleaner your transmit signal is.

Charlie

1 Like