PMP450i Extreme Cold Weather Issues?

Matt

I have gone ahead and opened a support ticket for our 2 radios, they were sent to wireless units for an out of warrenty repair and came back as un-repairable. Both units will not power

thanks

Neil

Neil-  I have requested the correction from our Customer Care Team on your RMA and have added myself as cc to the ticket.  If any issues come up, reply to the ticket email and I will follow up.

Dave

1 Like

Hi guys, we just submitted ticket #176041 for our RMA. Thanks.

We heard back from Cambium support about the units we sent back as a result of the cold weather iisue, this is the response

"As per the latest updates, the units were inspected and found to be BER(Beyond Economic Repair) as it was burnt.

Though the units are still under warranty, we will not be able to provide a replacement unit as burnt unit voids the warranty as per Cambium Networks warranty policy.

Please confirm if you want us to ship the BER units back to you or we can scrap it locally."

Anybody else with affected units get a similair response?

Neil -

From the report it looks like radio was hit by a surge/lightning strike which is not covered under warranty.   That is not what I would expect from the cold weather.   I will need to look further into this ticket.

Dave

We were told different...

-IC Volt REG POE Controller was replaced.
-Mosfet BVDSS 41V-60 replaced.

Curious what you found with the unit we sent in.

I can definitely confirm this is an issue... Last year we had a bunch fail during some cold snaps down to -40C. I handled one RMA through Cambium, the request number is 174824. We're just a bit north of Neil Smellie, actually.

This year we just got one of our first big dips in temperature and four APs went down over a couple hours on four different towers in four different areas. Serials for three of them are M9SM0J5M53KS, M9TF04BRHX5M, M9TF036KL0W8, the last wasn't in our cnMaestro server for some reason.

I'm not sure if it's related, but we're seeing the temperature on some of the APs be as low as -21C while another on the same tower, facing a different direction they'll be sitting at -2C.

This is absolutely unacceptable for such an expensive access point. I'm not a climber, but I've been a ground guy for a few of those swaps last year and let me tell you, it's not a pleasant time to be outdoors on the ground, let alone going up a couple hundred feet to replace these failed units in -30C...

1 Like

I had a quick look this morning and I have one 450 900 Ap reporting as down, the other 2 on the same site are reporting up

It was -27c when I got up thing morning

We agree this is unacceptable and are working toward a solution. Please keep working with support when you find issues... and we will work very closely with affected customers.

The boys are on the tower now replacing the unit

Kudos to Cambium - they have already reached out via PM to get us to return the unit so they can figure out what's going on

1 Like

Matt,

We have two 450i's that died in the last two cold snaps as well. One is completly inaccessable until spring but the other can be reached with a climb to replace it. For now we have not replaced it since we were able to get customers converted to other platforms or onto other APs. How should I go about opening tickets on these without having the APs in hand.

Also it is possible these both were bought in the same batch of APs. Others in our network are just fine at this point. Obviously we get a lot of cold weather up here and we have had 450i in the network for over 4 years. Both the failed units were new last spring.

Brandon - Please open tickets for these units. They will be supported properly.