POE and Timing....

Hi There,

We bought a few timing modules from Lastmile gear and I only realized afterwards that it’s a timing module only without any switch or powering capabilities. Does anyone know whether there’s any POE switches on the market that can power up the AP units plugged into it without using separate power supplies for each unit ?

Thanks in advance…

Canopy PoE (‘homebrew’) is different from normal PoE (IEEE 802.3af). The only switch I know of that delivers it is Moto’s CMM. Perhaps this might work for you?

http://www.packetflux.com/index.php?mai … 871823d107

if you can find a switch that puts out 24v passive poe (non-802.af ), then just figure out which pins (usualy 4,5 and 7,8) are + and - and change the wiring around accordingly to get the polarity right for the canopy equipment it might work.

If you need timing AND switching capability in one unit, you’ll have to go with the moto CMM.

If you don’t need timing, you should be able to get away with any standard 24v poe switch - you just need to swap around the brown and blue pairs and it should work fine. I’ve powered Canopy off of non-moto poe power supplies many times - some as low as 12v.

A syncpipe parasitic and a syncsplitter with the above method would give you timing capability, but you’d have to locate the GPS near your units and run timing cables as they wouldn’t receive sync over power.

Last Mile Gear CTM units provides Sync and Power for up to 8 Canopy units,

Nice thing about it is that its web managed and you can remotly reboot any of the 8 ports, it also has snmp

ginovilla wrote:
Last Mile Gear CTM units provides Sync and Power for up to 8 Canopy units,

Nice thing about it is that its web managed and you can remotly reboot any of the 8 ports, it also has snmp

But it does require a separate switch to actually pass the traffic. The ports are simply pass-through.

Ye , out of stupidity I didn’t bother reading the manuals on the sync modules before I bought them and ended up buying the Sync only model from them (CTM-Express8). Thanks for all the advice though , much appreciated…