PoE override

Hi,

I'm trying to create a user-defined override in order to override the PoE out enable/disable and type 802.3af/cambium-poe in order to differentiate this setting for some e700 AP that I have to use to power up cameras or ePMP SM.

- I created a variable ${poe-out=off} on User-Defined Overrides (Advanced) 

- I have a new field now on the AP configuration and I inserted the value cambium-poe as per attached screenshot but it doesn't seems to work and the port remains off.

Is there something wrong?

Thanks

Piero

Hi Piero,

What is the text you are entering in the Advanced Configuration section of the AP Group?  This format must match the native CLI format of the device configuration file.  The command for turning PoE off is

no poe-out

The replacement variable itself is not the command but gives the option to dynamically set the text in the CLI command.

I am unsure of the exact command for setting the cambium-poe option.  However, you can find this yourself by setting the PoE option to cambium-poe for a single device and then exporting that device's configuration file to view the CLI command.  This can be done via cnMaestro by clicking the View Device Configuration link the device's Configuration tab or via the device web UI by navigating to Operations > Configuation > Export.  From there check what the actual CLI command is and enter the Advanced Configuration text based on that.

For example, if the CLI command to set PoE to cambium-poe is "cambium-poe poe-out" you can use the following text.

${poe-out=no} poe-out

This will send "no poe-out" to devices by default.  To override this you would enter "cambium-poe" for an individual device to send "cambium-poe poe-out" to that device.

Please note that this is only an example and you will need to find the actual CLI command required in a device with this option already set.

Best Regards,

Jordan

Detailed instructions for setting up unique per-device overrides in AP Groups can be found in the below Knowledge Base article.

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/cnMaestro/Unique-per-device-values-in-AP-Groups-using-User-defined/m-p/63560

Hi Jordan,

many thanks for the reply and sorry for my delay!

- this is my first time using the user-defined overrides so I'm maybe a little bit confused by your explanation

- the string I inserted in the used-defined override is: ${poe-out=no} poe-out

- then what I was expecting is that if I enter the value "cambium-poe" or "802.3af" in the configuration Variables (advaced) on the configuration page of the device the PoE port will turn on accordingly. But this is not happening.

I verified that the CLI commands are

turn off PoE: no poe-out

turn on standard PoE: poe-out 802.3af

turn on canopy PoE: poe-out cambium-poe

If I send such commands via CLI the configuration changes accordingly. Am I doing any mistake in the variable definition?

Thanks a lot

BR

Piero

1 Like

Hi Piero,

Since turing off PoE comes before "poe-out" and turing on different options comes after "poe-out", I think you can accomplish this with replacement variables in two different ways.  The below code snippets are the full contents of what should be entered for the Advanced Configuration text section.

Option 1; single replacement variable:

${POE=no poe-out}

By default PoE will be disabled.  If you want to turn it on for a device you would enter "poe-out 802.3af" or "poe-out cambium-poe" in the device overrides section.

Option 2; two replacement variables:

${POE_ENABLE=no} poe-out ${POE_OPTION=}

By default PoE will be disabled.  If you want to turn it on for a device you would enter a space character for POE_ENABLE and either "802.3af" or "cambium-poe" for POE_OPTION.

Please let us know if either of these options works for you.

Best Regards,

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

many thanks; I applied the option 1 and it is working exactly as I was expecting.

In such way I'm able to set the PoE out off or 802.3af or cambium-poe arbitrarely in AP that belongs in the same group.

I guess that with option 2 the configuration selected would be applied to all the AP belonging to the AP group, am I right?

Thanks anyway for your great help and support.

BR

Piero

1 Like

Hi Piero,

That's great that you got it working!

Option 2 would still apply to individual APs like option 1.  It would not apply to all the APs in the AP Group.  The only difference from option 1 is that you would have two overrides to update instead of one but you wouldn't have to type "poe-out".  Option 1 does seem like the easier option in practice.

Best Regards,

Jordan