Poor downlink efficiency

We have a customer who seems to have good levels - fairly stable connection, and only 1 mile from the AP but has a poor downlink efficiency.
Here are his stats (This is one of his best link tests - usually downlink around 20-30%):

RSSI (Avg/Last): 1469/1482
Jitter (Avg/Last): 4/4
Power Level (Avg/Last): -73/-72

Downlink Efficiency: 48 Percent
Max Downlink Index: 100
Actual Downlink Index: 48
Expected Frag Count: 3528
Actual Frag Count: 7208
Uplink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Max Uplink Index: 100
Actual Uplink Index: 100
Expected Frag Count: 1705
Actual Frag Count: 1705

Both SM and AP are using 7.2.9.
Any thoughts what may be causing this?

Typically it’s either mis-aligned or it’s interference

Disable 2X and see if it improves.

We are already running in 1X.

Try doing a spectrum scan at both ends of the link and post the results here.

On our network, when we see these power levels dbi, rssi, jitter, we can normally expect descent download speeds. When we don’t get the download speeds we are expecting, it can normally be attributed to interference on the channel. We always try to swap out the SM with another just to make sure it’s not a hardware problem.

I would check for interference at the SM side of things since it’s downlink issues and to my understand that means the SM is having difficulties hearing the AP.

I’ve experienced the same thing and have gone through and found that it was a household electronics where the antenna was located and another time it was a neighbor directly in front of the antenna ~500ft. Simple antenna movement resolved both issues along with switching from an integrated to an 11dBi Yagi. (900MHz both cases)

Finally got bit by the portable phone bug. Using 5.7’s and customer had a 5.8 portable base station in the next room. Moved his base station about 30 feet further from the radio and all is fine again. Quick way to verify is to power down any supect devices and perform the link test. If it turns out to be the culprit try to locate the base station where you get max blockage from walls and furniture from the radio.

Just a quick tidbit we noticed here for anyone running 900MHz gear. Some 2.4G and 5.8G phones use 900MHz for signalling the handsets. We have tested and proven this in a few cases of “everytime the phone rings I get disconnected from the internet”.

gcampbell wrote:
Just a quick tidbit we noticed here for anyone running 900MHz gear. Some 2.4G and 5.8G phones use 900MHz for signalling the handsets. We have tested and proven this in a few cases of "everytime the phone rings I get disconnected from the internet".

Uniden 2.4GHz has smacked me twice now on our 900MHz SMs.