Poor uplink tests and high ping times...

Ok, I have set my distance from 30 miles to 15 miles with no change to my customers.
Next dumb question?

What do you have your slots set at?

Uplink Percentage %
Total NumUAckSlots (Range: 1–7)
UAcks Reserved High
NumDAckSlots (Range: 1–7)
DAcks Reserved High
NumCtlSlots (Range: 1–16)
NumCtlSlots Reserved High

Ok, I have set my distance from 30 miles to 15 miles with no change to my customers.
Next dumb question?

Uplink Percentage %
Total NumUAckSlots (Range: 1–7)
UAcks Reserved High
NumDAckSlots (Range: 1–7)
DAcks Reserved High
NumCtlSlots (Range: 1–16)

Did a little testing. I found some at -38 which I probably could have strung a cable from the tower instead.

I have transmitter power output at 1dbm and they are still showing up as -49 on the tower. :shock:

I’ve got one along the same lines as this with one exception my uplink is 100% but the actual throughtput is still only 120K and the signal is great, and others on the same AP do not have the problem but there a couple more that do. I have also noticed the same problem on a couple other AP’s.

Downlink RATE: 3397632 bps
Uplink RATE: 121600 bps
Downlink Efficiency: 95 Percent
Max Downlink Index: 91
Actual Downlink Index: 86
Expected Frag Count: 13272
Actual Frag Count: 15259
Uplink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Max Uplink Index: 97
Actual Uplink Index: 97
Expected Frag Count: 475
Actual Frag Count: 475

RSSI 1740 (-57 dBm)
Jitter 1

clueless wrote:
Next dumb question?

Uplink Percentage %
Total NumUAckSlots (Range: 1--7)
UAcks Reserved High
NumDAckSlots (Range: 1--7)
DAcks Reserved High
NumCtlSlots (Range: 1--16)

Downlink Percentage is 50
Control Slots is set at 1

When link tests show 0% does this mean the problem lies at the SM or the AP? When you have a poor uplink.

I would have said that some 900M radio is blinding the AP but not at 100% utilization.

Uplink Percentage %
Total NumUAckSlots 3 (Range: 1–7)
UAcks Reserved High
NumDAckSlots 3 (Range: 1–7)
DAcks Reserved High
NumCtlSlots 3 (Range: 1–16)

Motorola recommends at least 3 slots, 6 if high priority is set

This may be the issue with setting your distance at 30 miles since it will then put 1 slot in reserv

We run 50% down on 900’s
30 mile range
3 Control slots with 20 subs (we’ll increase it to 4 here before long)
all SM’s reading between -64 and -71

Most are seeing better than 90% efficiency up and down but a few read around 50% efficiency up. It’s not going to be perfect on all of them. Multipath, reflections, and interference will affect performance and itcan change from moment to moment.

Wow, we have twice as many subs on this AP and we are only using 1 control slot. According to Motorola, only 1 is needed. However I will try adding one or two.
What were you noticing when you had them at 1 control slot that made you up to 3? Thanks

:lol: I may have misread my quote it is on page 192 in the online user manual if you would like to check it out

maybe i’m running too many!

I’ll try lowering to 1 and see if I get a speed improvement

I’m new to the Canopy wireless stuff but have encoutered quite a few unusual situation like you are talking about. One had to deal with new high power lines being installed, that really messed with performance of our 900 Mhz . Also a 2 meter dish ( I don’t know what was running on it)
had the dish taken down preparing for a hurricane, and left the tranceiver running, leaving it pointing directly at my 900 radio. I asked them to power it down and BLAM !!! It worked fine. I also had an installation where it was close to a similar dish behind the reflector ( 10 Feet away)
I would see it work fine then the performance would degrate after a few minutes. It seems as though the owner of the bigger dish would transmit intermittently, that was the signal degridation I was seeing. What did I do to resolve this?
Move the radio thirty feet away. It works fantastic!!!
Also can you use a natural barrier ( such as behind a home tree or whatever) to block you from any RF inteference?
As I said before I am new to using the Canopy equipment and will read these forums to learn from.

Derrick your link test looke good could you possably have the AP configuration source set to sm, and in the sm the up and down data rate and burst allocation set too low?

for the rest of you.

Control slots are actually contention slots. When an sm wants to transmit is says “I have as many as 8 ethernet frames to transmit”.
With Control slots set to 3 this means 3 sm’s can send to an ap in one frame time. If too many sm’s contend for the same three spots you will have to increase this value. This is at a cost for every two control slots you set you loose 1 data slot. Not all sm’s send data on the same Uplink frame. If 200 sm’s all had to pass data to the ap at the same time they would all request service from the ap on the uplink frame (again 3 sm’s per frame) Frame size is 2.5ms and is repeated 400 times per second so all sm’s would be acknowledged in 70 to 80 ms. THIS IS ONLY ON THE UPLINK FRAME.

On the downlink frame the ap sends according to the requests from the sm’s on the previous frames. The sm’s look at the frames and see if they are for them.[/quote]

Do you think any of this has to do with the SM going to “IDLE”? I’ve witnessed a SM ‘appearing’ down or ‘idle’ and when the customer log’d into the SM, it was still registered.