posted before and no answer

Ok I have the headset and once registered then the tone is steady and helpful. If you re-scan on the laptop it goes wacky because it scans and syncs and stuff like that all the time. After i register, i hate it when it says syncing, scanning, aiming etc… what can i do so that i can hear a steady tone and still refresh the display to see the signal on the laptop. Seems like when i refresh the screen it goes all wacky in the headset. Is there a mode i should put the SM in to stop this? I just leave it factory settings and put color code and region code and register. Its driving me nuts that its very difficult to hold it in registered mode and still be able to see the actual signal with laptop. 900 canopy.

Mike

Configure the radio for the appropriate color code. Take the radio and antenna to the roof with the headset. If you cannot get a steady and continuous tone, then you need to:

A. Move to another position on the roof
B. Raise the antenna higher
C. Use a higher gain antenna
D. You are on the wrong Access Point

If are unable to get steady continuous tone in the headset, there is no point looking at the laptop.

I don’t even bother with a laptop on the roof. I have listened to enough tones to know if the link is installable or not. If the tone is what I expect, I install it. If the tone starts and stops, or is unsteady I look for a better place to install it or get a bigger antenna.

If I can’t get an acceptable tone within “standard installation” guidelines, I try to figure out what what it would take to get the install to go. I tell the customer that we are not going to be able to get an acceptable link with a standard install, however we can get it if we do X and X will cost $Y additional dollars (this of course assumes you have clearly outlined a “standard installation”). Then it’s up to them to decide.

This practice can be used to lock a customer into a long term agreement by telling them that you can waive the additional installation fees with a 2 or 3 year agreement.

well again, this happens with a power level of 64 and rssi of 1700 and jitter of 1. Has nothing to do with signal. Ive installed over 50 of these without a problem so its not a simple matter of moving around a little. Ive been there and done that. for some reason when you hit rescan on the AP EVAluation screen it goes into a scanning syncing mode that makes it go all crazy until it finally cleans up and says registered. yeah the signal may be great and you guys have the experience but i am trying to get the experience in knowing what tone is considered good enough to install and without the experience----- then i need the laptop to verify what the signal is to match the tone im hearing. i may eventially be able to do it like you but for now i need to see the readings on the laptop and am trying to figure a way for it not to continous scan and sync all the time and stay registered. i think it may have to do with hitting the rescan AP button or something. Is there a tech support Motorola number i can ask a tech on the phone? Maybe im in the wrong mode or a different mode. Do you put it in aiming mode or anything other then stock?

Mike

mike

Rescan is not the way to determine the signal level. Set the AP web interface to refresh every 3 seconds and look at the status page.

will try that. i did better today i just laid off the re-scan and tone was good. I had to re-scan a couple times to see what it was but i stayed off that button when i could. So the status page is better then ap evaluation?

mike

AP Eval is there to tell you what AP’s the SM can see and the relative signal strength of each. Once you choose the right AP and set the color code, then use the status screen to see the signal level.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
AP Eval is there to tell you what AP's the SM can see and the relative signal strength of each. Once you choose the right AP and set the color code, then use the status screen to see the signal level.

the only thing i dont like about that is the jitter goes from 1-2 to 8-9 and bounces. i realize its going from 1x to 2x but the AP eval seems more true and always shows 2 -3- 4 or whatever. Do you disable 2x when your getting a signal and then re-enable?

Mike

Almost everything I do is using 900mhz. For finding the signal I start with a compass bearing to potential APs that have been predetermined for this customer with Radio Mobile. I use a visual evaluation of the foliage, hills, etc and then AP evaluation to determine which AP has the best potential signal. AP eval needs to be scanned a few times to report accurately. I then configure that color code in the SM and reboot.

I perform all readings with the alignment screen on the laptop. I do not use a headset ever. I use an Asus EeePC and a rigged up battery/wifi test kit which is attached to the SM on the pole. This makes testing very convenient.

I always do installations in 1X mode. If I get an acceptable signal (72 or better here) and jitter of 4 or less I then check the signal at the AP to make sure its also within acceptable levels. I then do a link test. If the link test is 100% in both directions I then try 2X mode and run another 10 second link test. If this is above 90% then that location will for installation.

When the radio goes to 2X you will see jitter jump to 9 or 10 which is acceptable but makes evaluating the link a little challenging.

As Matt says, do your initial install with 2X disabled.

I also have a stack of old P9 SMs that are solely used as test units because they report consistent signals. If the signal of the installed P10 does not come within a db or two of the P9 that was used for testing I RMA the P10. This has seemed to help reduce the number of bad P10s I have had to go change later.

mattmann72 wrote:

I perform all readings with the alignment screen on the laptop. I do not use a headset ever. I use an Asus EeePC and a rigged up battery/wifi test kit which is attached to the SM on the pole. This makes testing very convenient.

I would like very much to see this set-up for alignment that you have. Any more details or links to the equipment would be great. pictures etc.. whats the wifi test kit? also when you say alignment screen, exactly which screen do you mean? Putting the Sm in alignment mode?

mike

i’ve never seen a radio going to 2x from simply doing an alignment / signal evaluation. we put the SM in aiming mode and look for a constant signal. Since it’s basically just showing you what it sees the AP at i doubt it’ll go into 2x and thus the jitter should be normal. If you’re seeing high jitters while installing the equipment BEFORE registering - there’s something else out there.

my 2 cents…

technoman wrote:

I would like very much to see this set-up for alignment that you have. Any more details or links to the equipment would be great. pictures etc.. whats the wifi test kit? also when you say alignment screen, exactly which screen do you mean? Putting the Sm in alignment mode?

Yes putting the SM in alignment mode. I do have some pictures of my old setup at www.smarterbroadband.com/testunit/ This test kit is now a 12V rc battery with a senao 802.11b poe wifi ap. I just recently changed out the senao for a nanostation.

jay wrote:
i've never seen a radio going to 2x from simply doing an alignment / signal evaluation. we put the SM in aiming mode and look for a constant signal. Since it's basically just showing you what it sees the AP at i doubt it'll go into 2x and thus the jitter should be normal. If you're seeing high jitters while installing the equipment BEFORE registering - there's something else out there.

Correct. Alignment mode will only be 1X. When using 900 or 2.4 I never trust that the signal at the SM is enough to install by. Its possible that there is some physical interference where the AP receives a signal 10-15db less than the SM. So before any survey is considered good the test SM must register in that location, a signal check at the AP is done, and a link test is performed. Since the db and rssi are so inaccurate anymore I have come to rely on a link test.

Understand that when you click AP Rescan, you’re telling the radio to deregister, scan the band and then re-register. By its very definition, you’re going to hear the tones go crazy as it does that.

I really like your setup, mattman72. In fact I liked it so much when I first saw the pictures that I modified our rig that we’d been using with a power cord reel of cat5 that we’d drag wherever to do our testing.

We bought a cheap 18v drill, sawed the handle off and mounted it to the bottom of the 5 foot mast that we had the rig attached to. Putting the battery on the bottom gives you a better balance on the rig which makes it easier to handle.

I mounted a senao POE ap that we had sitting around, and now we use it wirelessly. It’s a beautiful arrangement for surveys. Anyone who tries this needs to remember that Canopy POE is reverse polarity from standard POE, so you have to distinguish the two ethernet leads so you don’t plug the wrong one in to the wrong device…

If there’s interest, I’ll post some pics of our rig too.

cvs wrote:

I mounted a senao POE ap that we had sitting around, and now we use it wirelessly. It's a beautiful arrangement for surveys. Anyone who tries this needs to remember that Canopy POE is reverse polarity from standard POE, so you have to distinguish the two ethernet leads so you don't plug the wrong one in to the wrong device...

If there's interest, I'll post some pics of our rig too.

i want to see pics and a little more detail of this wireless set-up.

Mike