Power level, jitter, RSSI fine but....

RSSI at 1500
Powerlevel -65/-66 dbm
jitter 3

Link capacity test comes back with 99% down/98% up
900mhz system.

About 3 miles from the AP.

I just started working at this wisp installing SM’s. I have read the manuals and from what I gather those numbers above should be ok. Yet, the customer can’t browse online.

And that is about the limit to my knowledge of SM’s. What should I look at now? Should I get the network guys to look at the AP’s?

If you need more info let me know.

Thanks for any help.
H

Sounds like your radio link is fine. You need to troubleshoot IP connectivity.

Does the radio show a link?

If so, does the ARP page show any addresses?

How is the networking configured in the radio?

cvs wrote:
Sounds like your radio link is fine. You need to troubleshoot IP connectivity.

Does the radio show a link?

If so, does the ARP page show any addresses?

How is the networking configured in the radio?

Not sure if I can answer those questions.
The radio gets registered to the AP.
the ARP doesn't show address it says"Public IP not enabled."

Boy, I need to get trained!! Hows the network configured?
They are preconfigured at the shop. He puts in the customers name, unchecks all freq except 915 and 924 sets the QoS and I belive that is it.
Not sure if that answers your questions.
H

Did your company throw you to the wolves? I would like to think that your company employs semi-knowledgeable Canopy techs/engineers.

On the SM’s Home/General Status page what does it list for Ethernet Interface?
Is NAT enabled in the SM?
Is the customer using a router?
Can he ping your DNS server or the router using command prompt?
Make sure IE or FF do not have proxy selected in the options.
Does he have more than one pc to test with?

If you still have a tough time verifying this info then you will probably need to roll a truck out to the home.

Thanks for the replies.

Its a small wisp serving a local population that has been on dial up since the being of time. Thankfully they are very forgiving customers who want broadband and would like a local company to succeed. Unfortunately, we installers haven’t been properly trained. I just started this week and trying to bring some basic procedures to the process of installing and giving the crew some basic knowledge so we don’t have to spend our time going on service calls. Hope you all can bear with me:)

Ethernet interface is 100 Base TX full duplex
NAT is disabled
Router was NOT used during setup and testing. Straight connection and still couldn’t browse.

Ping DNS server.
Will try Monday.
Proxy server setting I believe were off. Will verify.
We set it up with our laptop and we couldn’t browse, test with the customers pc and couldn’t browse.

We are assigned static ip’s. But I believe those are handled by the network guys.

Forgive me Iam going on memory from friday.

If you still have a tough time verifying this info then you will probably need to roll a truck out to the home.

and thats where I come in. No one is trouble shooting.
Installers go out RSSi values are above 700 they install.

I know, I know
H

I would strongly advise that you read the Canopy manual carefully. It is very good (at least by tech manual standards!), and will help you understand what you’re dealing with.

http://motorola.motowi4solutions.com/support/library/?region=1&cat=8

If you need TCP/IP information, try this…

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/gg243376.html

Hope that helps…

I agree. I will go through the manual again.
Thanks for the link to the tcp info.

Hey!

Two quick things;

What is doing the 'assigning’of the static IP addresses; that is: Do you have a server that hands them out, or do you need to hard-code them into the client router on site?

I mention this since you’re Subscriber Module is not doing NAT: The address has to come from somewhere, or the installer would need to hard-code it into the router to make things work.

Thing two;

Make sure that there isn’t a filter clicked inadvertantly on the Advanced Network Configuration page: If ‘All IPv4’ or ‘ARP’ accidentally got clicked, that would make things not work, as would checking the Bootp boxes if you’re relying on a central DHCP server to hand out client IP addresses.