Prevent SM from connecting to wrong tower

We recently upgraded a few towers with ePMP 1000 APs. I just thought of a problem though - we used to mitigate wrong AP association with color codes, but what is the best practice on ePMP? Different SSIDs?

If the ePMP station can see two APs it will connect to the one with the most favorable conditions first.  If that AP goes offline or stops transmitting though, the STA will connect to another AP it can see (and can authenticate to).

You can limit this behavior somewhat by using the preferred ap list on the STA.

1 Like

Using the Preferred AP list on the SM is the good option. You can either manually enter the preferred AP (or APs) or simply let the SM scan for APs, then from Monitor > Wireless on the SM, add the desired AP to the Preferred AP List. This way, the SM will attempt to register only to the AP(s) in its Preferred AP list. 

2 Likes

if would be nice to have a weighted system in place eventually... if the preferred AP is gone for say, 5 minutes grab what you can and search again after so long. 

BUT i'm sure cambium is busy making the next generation goodness ;)

@Chris_Bay wrote:

if would be nice to have a weighted system in place eventually... if the preferred AP is gone for say, 5 minutes grab what you can and search again after so long. 

BUT i'm sure cambium is busy making the next generation goodness ;)

Hi Chris, 

Yeah, the rescan feature has been requested multiple times already. But like you said, we've got all hands working on the next generation. Hopefully once those are out, we can get some bandwidth for these features. 

Thanks,

Sriram

3 Likes

Did the re-scan feature ever make it?  If not, will it be present on ePMP 3000?  This is a highly desired feature.