Prizm stops auth on CentOS

30 minute polling is pretty far between.

Am I correct in understanding though that disabling polling corrected the issue of BAM not responding after bandwidth changes? If that’s the case, no problem. I’ll just start graphing everything in Cacti. Need to do that anyway I suppose. The Prizm graphs are “ok” at best but serve a purpose. I wish they had packets/second graphs for unicast traffic.

The case this thread has been about isn’t due to clients having issues registering (although that’s the end result) but with BAM not responding to authentication requests after making certain changes in the EMS client.

I’ve also noticed that BAM stops responding after activating a suspended user. Suspending a user seems to have no effect on BAM though. It’s just the activation part.

seano wrote:
I was having the same issue. we have prizm 2.0 managing 25 APs, 10 BHs, 10 CMMmicros and over 500 SMs.

I have the APs, BHs and CMMs set to poll data every 10 min. I did have the SMs set to poll every 30min which ran fine when we had about 400 SMs once we got near the 500 SM mark the server would stop registering SMs and only a reboot would fix it.

I then turned off polling for all the SMs and we haven’t had a registration issue since then.

the machine that is currently running prizm is a low end celeron machine that we will be upgrading to prizm 2.1 with a 3.4Ghz pentiumD and 3GB ram after i get back from canopy training in april.

I’ll repost after i upgrade and re-enable the polling of all our SMs to see if that fixed the issue. It’s really handy for tech support to be able to see all the history of the links and what has happened to the signal over time.

I finally got my Prizm running again after struggling about three weeks with the motorola team only to run into the exact same problem you’re describing. I’m starting to believe that Motorola has released Prizm prematurely and that their using their customer base to run a Beta test funded by us. This might be the ravings of a MAD man or just pure frustration but I’m on the verge of actually giving up on the product completely. So far I got BAM going in Gentoo, Centos 4 and currently I’m on Redhat Enterprise 4 since the support team didn’t want to even look at my problem while running on an “unsupported” OS. A three operating system gave me the exact same problem being everything running smoothly until BAM decides not to authenticate any new incoming requests.

I must say that the support team has been great up to now and I’m sure they must be just as frustrated as I to support a product with obvious flaws in it. I’m writing another email to support regarding this issue and will post their reply on the board if I get anything meaningful out of them.

Hmmm , Coffee …… need coffee … trying to find contact details for the guy who was suppose to fix my espresso machine days ago.

Ok , seems there’s definitely something wrong with Prizm since Motorola send me two files yesterday to replace Engined and libACE.so.5.5.0. I suggest you contact Motorola about this if you’re experiencing the same problems as discussed in this thread.

Steph,

I had been running clean for about 3 weeks or so with these fixes (installed March 15th) and then today, Prizm stopped authenticating. Whatever they did in the fix definitely helped, but I’m not sure it 100% fixed the issue.

What really gets me is their lack of support for CentOS. I understand they don’t want to support a huge number of distributions, but give me a break! I think they’re only hurting themselves by not supporting their product running on this OS.

Moto support seems to be lacking as well. While they made the cursory request for log files, they also wanted the /etc/redhat-release file as proof that I was running a supported OS. Then they wanted remote access to the box (which I denied). I sent them some Prizm debug logs which I guess was enough for them to diagnose the issue.

I think Moto knows most people won’t run RHEL and they use that as an excuse to not support their product. That or they have a big investment in RH. :slight_smile:

I completely agree that the product needs more QA.

Charlie

Same here , everything was running smoothly for about four weeks until a few days ago when the exact same problem popped up. I’m busy writing an email to Moto support but I’m not sure whether it’s going to make much of a difference.

Did you had any luck with them?

-steph

I’ve had nothing but headaches with tech support. My biggest headache is with them not supporting CentOS.

I’m actually having more problems today. Now Prizm will not accept any new SMs. The SMs are authenticated but aren’t being accepted for management. SNMP settings aren’t being set and an IP address isn’t being assigned. Oh what a wonderful day! :slight_smile:

I’m actually going to bite the bullet and purchase RHEL just so I don’t have to jump through all the hoops with them and just get them access to the system and say “fix the damn thing!”.

I’m VERY, VERY, VERY frustrated with all this. I’d scrap Prizm if the boss hadn’t insisted on using Canopy Lite modules.

http://motorola.canopywireless.com/supp ... d=399&c=18

Fabio Marocco
@Works