Prizm to Wireless Manager, transition questions

has anybody else migrated from prizm v3 to WM v.3 ??

Curious about a couple of standard processes we used to perform in Prizm but can’t seem to figure out where or how it’s done in WM.

in Prizm when we installed a new radio (SM) we’d later run prizm to discover and manage that radio. The discovery process and the actual part of “bringing the radio into management” would assign that radio an IP address from a defined IP address range. I do not see anything like this in the new WM v.3 software. What am I overlooking here? Have read the PDF admin and user guide and I’ve not run across anything that might suggest a replacement function in WM.

I’ve been poking around with WM as we start ramping up our WiMAX effort with PMP320. I noticed the same thing so I asked about this on a conference call with our sales rep and a few people at Moto. WM3 unfortunately doesn’t do that. To replicate what we had with Prizm, you need WM3, your own RADIUS server, and DHCP.

So, to do something like Prizm’s Provision -> Install -> Manage steps, you need to:

- Add MAC address into RADIUS with the appropriate profiles built for VLAN and QoS/Bandwidth settings
- Add MAC address into DHCP
- Installer should set SNMP settings correctly (??? not sure how exactly I’m going to pull that off)
- Only after the radio has come online, go and manually add it to WM3.

For WM3 to discover a device completely, it must be able to login to the device by the supplied IP address via SNMP. Right now it appears that I will have to hire someone new, write my own front end, or spend a lot of time and money in training how to set this crap up as we can no longer have our dispatcher add the MAC to one source and just have the installers put the color code in. It’s pretty sad what a step backwards WM is in management from Prizm.

Very disappointed.

salad wrote:
I've been poking around with WM as we start ramping up our WiMAX effort with PMP320. I noticed the same thing so I asked about this on a conference call with our sales rep and a few people at Moto. WM3 unfortunately doesn't do that. To replicate what we had with Prizm, you need WM3, your own RADIUS server, and DHCP.

So, to do something like Prizm's Provision -> Install -> Manage steps, you need to:

- Add MAC address into RADIUS with the appropriate profiles built for VLAN and QoS/Bandwidth settings
- Add MAC address into DHCP
- Installer should set SNMP settings correctly (????? not sure how exactly I'm going to pull that off)
- Only after the radio has come online, go and manually add it to WM3.

For WM3 to discover a device completely, it must be able to login to the device by the supplied IP address via SNMP. Right now it appears that I will have to hire someone new, write my own front end, or spend a lot of time and money in training how to set this crap up as we can no longer have our dispatcher add the MAC to one source and just have the installers put the color code in. It's pretty sad what a step backwards WM is in management from Prizm.

Very disappointed.

Hmmm, I was wondering about the DHCP and Radius additions. Well if this is the way it needs to be done now at least I won't waste any more time looking for something that doesn't exist in WM. The Radius / DHCP isn't a big deal for our setup, we already use radius for a lot of authentication and accounting functions now, this could actually solve a few problems for us in the long run.

Thanks for the lead, if anybody else here is using WM v3 and have helpful advice using it, please share!

Hi,

if you want you can install Prizm on the same server where runnig WLM also, but only in BAM mode.
Prizm make then the authentication and the Bandwithmanagment and you can use WLM for the managment and the configuration for the old Hardware (C200,C400,C500).

I tried this configuration during the WLM Beta Testing and works fine.

But is only a joke…
because you always need Prizm, with there own DB an Clientinterface.

At the moment we use WLM but only for the C320.

Bye