Problem with new SMs

I’ve got some of these new unbranded PMP320 SMs here. I figured Cambium just instructed the manufacturer to no longer mold the Motorola “M” onto the face of it. The web interfaces of each units say WIXS-177 and 3630 SM for hardware and product versions. However I noticed that on the units and boxes themselves the old Motorola ones have TANAPA 3630AA, new ones 3630HH. No idea what a TANAPA is.

Had two techs try three of these today with no luck. One guy had two of these new SMs with software 8.1.4 that would not link up. Saw a -65 from the AP, wouldn’t link to anything on that tower. Nothing in the event log or RADIUS auth tables at all. As if they were mutes. The other tech got one to link at 0.9 KM (yes, 900 meters) to a different tower with a -40ish downstream, hitting the target -69 upstream, upload speed tests showed about 80 Kbps. During the test the upstream service flow shows 45-55% of the packets dropped , both with HARQ retries at 1, then 2.

I got one of the “no link” SMs here in my office and it linked up at about 2 meters without any config changes. This test AP is a copy & paste of the one out in the field.

I’m just getting started with the creative troubleshooting. I have two older Motorola-branded SMs here in the office that I’ll be testing against and sending out with the techs in the morning.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Just curious if you worked out the issue with the PMP320s. If you are still having an issue, feel free to call Support and open a case. I’ll be happy to work on it with you.

I have no idea what happened with the “no link” installation - I think it’s been rebooked pending customer availability.

The other issue with the poor upload is coming along. A Motorola-branded unit yielded the same problem. After a lot of work my theory is the SMs do not function properly when their transmit power is low (an effect of being close to the AP). I increased the target RSSI on the AP from the default -67 to -60 and the unit is performing a LOT better. In fact, I can now access the web interface of several other “good signal” SMs where previously I could not. According to my techs, in other installations with slow uploads and poor web reponse they detuned the SM by pointing away from the AP and performance improved. In this case the SM is 900 meters from the AP, so not much detuning to do there.

If you’re interested the case number is SC2213, I believe we are waiting on Level 3

salad wrote:
I increased the target RSSI on the AP from the default -67 to -60 and the unit is performing a LOT better. In fact, I can now access the web interface of several other "good signal" SMs where previously I could not.

Where is that setting found? Is that the C/N Configuration page? The documentation had nothing about that page iirc.
Plainsnet wrote:
Where is that setting found? Is that the C/N Configuration page? The documentation had nothing about that page iirc.

Yup that's it