Problems with 320AP snmp

for the life of me, I cannot get the any of our 320 APs to respond in our whatsup gold application. all of our classic APs, SM and 3.65 CPEs all answer and work correctly.
I’ve read the forum post below from Motorola support with no luck, and i can’t find any further help on this issue

what I’ve tried to access:

I’ve tried with the default smtpRO access, changed the password to password and tried the community string as just plan public and public_password, on SNMP v1 and v2 and many other variables. I’m a little lost as to why i cannot access these base stations.

I’m feeling like a noob all over again, any insight would be much appreciated

mgthump wrote:
for the life of me, I cannot get the any of our 320 APs to respond in our whatsup gold application. all of our classic APs, SM and 3.65 CPEs all answer and work correctly.
I've read the forum post below from Motorola support with no luck, and i can't find any further help on this issue

what I’ve tried to access:

I’ve tried with the default smtpRO access, changed the password to password and tried the community string as just plan public and public_password, on SNMP v1 and v2 and many other variables. I'm a little lost as to why i cannot access these base stations.

I'm feeling like a noob all over again, any insight would be much appreciated

SNMP v1, public_password is the right combination. Works with the dude without problem.

I know this thread is old but since I found myself searching, I thought I’d add a bit of clarification.

Somewhere in the PMP320 manual it explains that the SNMP communities (v1 remember) are in the format of username_password. The default password is “password” for what you’d think are the “public” and “private” communities. So if, on the user management page, you created an SnmpRW user of “bob” with password of “tickles”, then the community is actually bob_tickles

Another useful tip IMHO: Just set up your usual community string (“snmpro” e.g.) as SNMP read-only user, with NO password. You can then just use “snmpro” as community string. Same for RW, of course. The users are only permitted SNMP access, not telnet or web login, so it’s as secure as SNMP V1/V2c ever is.

Irritating.

j

newkirk, does that only work when creating new users? The interface seems to not change values like passwords for existing users if you just leave them blank.

Good catch, I hadn’t even noticed that. I disable snmprw and snmpro default users, create new ones with our community as username and no password.

I’d never tried blanking a password, and you’re right that it doesn’t work.

j