Procedures anyone

We have about 300 installs done now and it seems that our current procedures are leading to total havoc. Does anyone have any procedures they follow for installs? Also, how do you make sure you get your radio back if people cancel?

Let me slow down here and give you some info. We have a staff of 2 handling the day to day operations . . . 1 doing the installs, and 1 handling the scheduling and help desk. Scheduling new installs works out ok but, I’m having trouble with scheduling service calls and radio pick-ups. Anyone got any procedures they follow?

bucketboy wrote:
We have about 300 installs done now and it seems that our current procedures are leading to total havoc. Does anyone have any procedures they follow for installs? Also, how do you make sure you get your radio back if people cancel?

Let me slow down here and give you some info. We have a staff of 2 handling the day to day operations . . . 1 doing the installs, and 1 handling the scheduling and help desk. Scheduling new installs works out ok but, I'm having trouble with scheduling service calls and radio pick-ups. Anyone got any procedures they follow?

Your staffing situation is the same as how we run. We just schedule the installs two a day, one AM appt. and one PM. Any time service needs to be done, it is booked in one of the two time slots. Same goes for disco's. Most of the time we can just pick the radio up at our convinence. I have not had to yet go and yank equipment day-of. Our customers know that if we do not get the radio back, they will get billed for it, or be taken to court.

If there is a pressing service call, I take care of it myself.

You may start out with a certain way of doing things then discover that those initial proceedures (especially the loose and informal ones) break down real fast.

So you upgrade your support proceedures and use a more comprehensive trouble ticket/tracking system.

Perhaps you start a more comprehensive inventory system.

And you start up a new scheduling system.

I’ve seen larger WISPs use whiteboards to handle their installations for the day…

I guess whatever works for you as long as you change to keep up.

Havoc. Makes the day go by fast…

We have 1 tech support, 1 sales, 1 installer, 1 me. I oversee a lot of things, including training the tech/installer. The tech and installer team up on installs/services.

We schedule 2-3 installs/day depending on weather and other things that are going on such as service calls or other field work that needs done.

I do most of the surveying myself. Used to truck roll the survey, but found radio mobile to be way more efficient at helping “screen” the surveys before time is wasted. Around here, it’s too hilling/treey to just roll an install crew as a lot of the surveys are negative due to the terrain. So, we cleaned up some havoc with the introduction of radio mobile.

Services are put on a whiteboard, and reviewed by myself before a truck roll so that I can make recommendations based on initial survey data and installation data.

All in all, it’s still hectic and there’s a lot of havoc. Especially now that I’m spending a lot of time in R&D with new tower locations and proposals. Things have gotten better over time though.

One key thing is that we have been around since '96, so we have a base system for billing, technical support, all the good stuff, so it really helps out with some sort of “method”.