ptp 200

Has anyone used these, and what kind of throughput are you seeing. I need to do a 2.5 mile los link and be able to get min 15mb/s…

The ptp 200 models come int 10mb and 20mb flavors, of course those are aggregate rates so if you use 20mb model at 50% downlink you’ll be splitting 10mbup/10mb down. If you need more bandwidth than that I’d go with the ptp300 or 400

PTP200 20 meg (aka BH20) does 14Mbps aggregate usable throughput 1/2 duplex.

A very cost effective solution is the Ligowave - I have not used it but I hear good things.

Also look at Trango.

weve started using redline stuff for BH’s. cheaper then PTP400’s and very effective

Would recommend Trango on the shorter links - haven’t had as good of luck with them on longer links (15+ miles).

FWIW we’ve been running a Trango Atlas 5010 16 miles as our primary BH for a year. No issues.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
FWIW we've been running a Trango Atlas 5010 16 miles as our primary BH for a year. No issues.

My long link (19 miles using Gabriel 2ft dual pol dishes) ran excellent for about 2-3 months (signal level around -64 both ends), then all of a sudden the link dropped. Ended up having to go to both ends and reset the transmit power from 0db on the Trangos. For whatever reason the units decided to drop their power down to 0. It ran great for another few months and repeated itself.

It's been fine since this last issue, but I am planning on replacing the link with a PTP500 simply because I no longer trust its reliability. I certainly wouldn't go and say this is a common problem because the other Trango links we've worked with have never done this (of course none of them are that long either), but I figured I should throw it out there.

My link is about 3 miles max, Thanks for the updates…

wifiguy wrote:
[quote="Jerry Richardson":28ii8uwk]FWIW we've been running a Trango Atlas 5010 16 miles as our primary BH for a year. No issues.

My long link (19 miles using Gabriel 2ft dual pol dishes) ran excellent for about 2-3 months (signal level around -64 both ends), then all of a sudden the link dropped. Ended up having to go to both ends and reset the transmit power from 0db on the Trangos. For whatever reason the units decided to drop their power down to 0. It ran great for another few months and repeated itself.

It's been fine since this last issue, but I am planning on replacing the link with a PTP500 simply because I no longer trust its reliability. I certainly wouldn't go and say this is a common problem because the other Trango links we've worked with have never done this (of course none of them are that long either), but I figured I should throw it out there.[/quote:28ii8uwk]

Finally contacted Trango on this issue - it is a firmware bug and is fixed in the latest release.

We just setup a TrangoLink-45 INT setup this weekend.

Its a very noisy area, and had to go down to the 5.5 ghz area to find little noise, thus reducing our power output, but got a nice link just under 3 miles. Its giving us a 40 mb throughput.

The unit is nice as it can DFS, or you select in any of the 5 ghz ranges, (5.2, 5.4, & 5.7) plus software changing of polarization.

silentsno wrote:
We just setup a TrangoLink-45 INT setup this weekend.

Its a very noisy area, and had to go down to the 5.5 ghz area to find little noise, thus reducing our power output, but got a nice link just under 3 miles. Its giving us a 40 mb throughput.

The unit is nice as it can DFS, or you select in any of the 5 ghz ranges, (5.2, 5.4, & 5.7) plus software changing of polarization.

theres a couple in a part of our network that used to be a smaller WISP we absorbed, and they have built in heaters! comes in handy when theres snow/ice/freezing rain and the units get covered

but…has anyone used ptp200???
are they good?

I think what we are saying is that there are other PTP solutions that will give you more throughput at a lower cost.

However the PTP200 has the benefit of using sync like your APs, so if you are in a crowded Canopy environment you may find the PTP200 is more suited to the task.

We use also a ptp200 10 meg flavor.

It works well, just not a lot of throughput, but it only feeds our 900 AP, so bandwidth is small anyway.

Its been solid, no problems.

VLAN1 wrote:
[quote="silentsno":3dmo76mn]We just setup a TrangoLink-45 INT setup this weekend.

theres a couple in a part of our network that used to be a smaller WISP we absorbed, and they have built in heaters! comes in handy when theres snow/ice/freezing rain and the units get covered[/quote:3dmo76mn]

We have 3 PTP200 links in operation - they all have worked flawlessly. One feeds a 2.4AP the other two feed 900MHz APs.

Pretty much all we use for backhauls. I suspect one of them is turning into a choke point for one of our more crowded AP’s though PRTG is telling me otherwise but they generally run good. They’ve been very reliable for us. The only thing I don’t like is they aren’t designed with mounting to towers in mind (or at least the little ones we have). The arm sticks the dish out and the wind just looks like it’s constantly torquing on the whole thing. But hey, I’m no engineer…

trango is basically a pile of crap. when trangolink first came out, i tried a pair. the ethernet ports would lockup continuously (this was 3 years ago) and they couldn’t provide any fix or even answer support requests for close to 6 months. i finally got it out of those morons that they are just writing the web and command line interface. they get the low level system supplied as a blob to them and they have no engineers who control or even understand the actual hardware or chip drivers. what losers.

We’ve been running 10 links of Trango with nary a hiccup.

Just goes to show one bad experience can turn you off a product forever. Trango is not the same company it once was. They focus on cost effective PTP solutions that work well and are reliable.

Overall I can’t complain about Trango either. We have 3 of them, two of which have never given me an issue. The only issue I’ve had was mentioned above and it turned out to be a firmware issue that has a fix.

They’re very affordable, high-throughput, high-reliability links.

If you want good BH’s you have to pay for it … ligowave and other 802.11 variations are junk.

Look at motorola’s ptp (orthagon) or redline…