ptp 200

jerico wrote:
If you want good BH's you have to pay for it ..... ligowave and other 802.11 variations are junk.

Look at motorola's ptp (orthagon) or redline......

What makes you think that Ligowave is junk?

I’m afraid selection of equipment is a little more complicated than “Use XYZ cause ABC is crap”. You need to weigh in factors such as:
- application
- interference
- BW requirements
- latency requirements
- budget
- expected growth
- tower space

Using an $8k PTP used for the sake of being “the best” when a $2k PTP will do the job does not make good business sense. I am not going to spend 3-4x the money if I don’t need to.

Using a $2k PTP for the sake of “cost” when an $8k PTP is required also makes little sense. You can’t run a successful network on under-performing equipment.

Redline, Moto, Dragonwave, Trango, Ligo, Deliberant, etc all have their place.

I agree very much.

We have 4 links all with moto BH 20 units. The last set I put up was a new set of P10’s they were adequate but left something to be desired for thru put… last week I upgraded to V9 and WOW it came to life… the packet processing really helped. And no troubles so far… (knock on wood). Just my experience.

Just to clarify… PTP200 (PTP54200) are OFDM radio’s NOT the BH10 or BH20 ---- Available in 5.4GHz only

These are new radios that just came out…(mid October I think)

So back to the original question: Has anyone used a PTP200 ???(connectorized or integrated)

O… and is the power level unrestricted if put into region “other”

==========================

And about the Ligowave, these are WAR boards that are available for a fraction of the price… and they do not cope well with interference… Latency goes through the roof when utilization get anywhere need it’s maximum

We replaced our ligowave with the moto PTP600Lite… and WOW… now we have REAL reliability! (99.99 avail @ 149Mbps) Although, comes with a price :slight_smile:

You are more likely to get the answer to the PTP200 question from the WISPA Motorola mail list.

jerico wrote:

And about the Ligowave, these are WAR boards that are available for a fraction of the price.... and they do not cope well with interference.... Latency goes through the roof when utilization get anywhere need it's maximum

We replaced our ligowave with the moto PTP600Lite.... and WOW... now we have REAL reliability! (99.99 avail @ 149Mbps) Although, comes with a price :-)

You are most likely comparing apples to oranges with the Ligo products. There was a Ligo unit based on something similar to the WAR board a while back, back when Ligo had standards based gear. Basically, it was an 802.11a client or simple PTP rig, with the model number of LGO1AGN or LGO1A23. It was the predecessor to the DLB CPE 5-20 that Deliberant manufactures. The unit would increase the latency under heavy loads, like any 802.11a standard unit. And it was kind of slow, but at the time it wasn't too bad all things considered. This is why you saw the performance difference between the Ligowave and Motorola products. Ligowave retired the unit back in 2007 and now they have the new PTP series which are completely different. Now, Ligo product is all proprietary across the product line. The new PTP product line is much faster thanks to a faster processor, and more robust thanks to the proprietary features. It in no way compares to anything 802.11a. You should check their website out for more details. I'd give them a call to, if you want more information as they are very open to disussion.

I am not posting this here to try and talk down Motorola product. After all, this is a Motorola forum. I am posting this here because I do not like to see bad things said about vendors where it is not true, at least for their current lines. My above response was based on information from Ligowave directly. They have made efforts to improve their line and it is evident with their latest releases.
jerico wrote:
Just to clarify..... PTP200 (PTP54200) are OFDM radio's NOT the BH10 or BH20 ---- Available in 5.4GHz only

These are new radios that just came out....(mid October I think)

D'oh. I knew this too. Disregard my last post, we aren't using these.

Yet, anyway.