PTP 250 SSID cannot be hidden

Dear all,

i have a PTP 250 and firmware PTP250-02-11

i am running Wireless Point to Point from my HQ to My Warehouse, everything is working fine, but recently i found out the SSID is not been hidden, i using my phone which support 5gz scan is able to detect the SSID

My Question is:

1) is it  the Cambium Point to Point SSID is not been hidden by default?

2) how can i hidden the SSID, i do not want other PPl can search and detect my point to point SSID

i search many forum but unable to get the answer, please help

Thank you

From the user guide:

A link can only be established between units that have identical ESSID Link Names. It is good practise to select a unique name.
ESSID Link Name may consist of letters (A-Z and a-z), numbers (0-9) and the following special characters (no spaces):
(),-.,:<=>[]_{}

So you could be creative in your link name, in order to "hide" the SSID.

I hope this helps!

Dave

Dear David,

Thank you for your reply,

ya, i set the name as unique name already, but is it anyway i can stop the ssid to broadcasting?

Thank you

Nope. You cannot hide the SSID. That's how the product works. Sorry!

Dave

P.S. Have you tried using character-based emoticons?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emoticons

:-{)>

:)

I hope this helps!

Dear Devid,

Thank you for your information, really appreciated

Thank you very much

1 Like

Dear David,

May i know is it apply to all the Cambium Model, all cannot be hidden the SSID but only can play around the SSID name?

Thank you

Cambium Networks' other "unlicensed" or "lightly-licensed" products (PTP 650, 700, etc.) are not visible to 802.11 clients. (These products can use a variety of channel sizes, timing, and their modulation and coding is purpose-built.)

Many of Cambium Networks' PTP products use other security procedures to prevent "man-in-the-middle" or "spoofing" attacks. They don't use an "SSID", but they still use link name match, MAC address matching, encryption, and/or other measures.

Cambium Networks' "licensed" products (PTP 800, PTP 810, and PTP 820) are not visible to 802.11 clients either, since they don't operate in the WiFi bands. They don't use an "SSID", but they still use link name match, MAC address matching, encryption, and/or other measures.

I hope this helps!

Dave

In fact, I think that the PTP 250 may be the only PTP product of ours that uses an SSID.

I'll confirm and post back in 12 hours or so.

Dave

Dear David,

thank a lot for you help, will waiting for you confirmation

Thank you very much

PTP 250 and ePMP are the only Cambium Networks PTP products  that use SSID.

The SSID cannot be hidden in either product.

I hope this helps!

Dave

Dear David,

Thank a lot

really appreciated you help

Thank you very much