PTP Configuration

Hi,

I have attempted to configure a PTP link from my office to my boss's residence using a Force 180 as the AP and Force 200 as the SM. There is a clear line of sight which I have aligned to the best of my ability. I can ping and login to the SM from the office. Network Mode; Bridge, SM Mode; TDD (Both AP & SM).

Link Quality (Uplink): 100%

Link Capacity (Uplink): 30 %

Wireless Status: Up

Current RSSI: -76 dBm

Peak RSSI: -75 dBm

My question is how I can improve on this? 

Thanks in Advance

@Teknesian wrote:

Current RSSI: -76 dBm

Peak RSSI: -75 dBm

My question is how I can improve on this? 

Hi.  What distance are they apart? What are the radio output power's set to?  Do you have 'Auto Power' turned on, and if so, what do you have your 'target' signal set to? I would probably also choose to configure a PTP link in ePTP mode (instead of TDD mode) for lower latency - although that in itself would be a cause of your signal issue.  Most importantly - have you used Cambium's LinkPlanner software to see what your expected RSSI should be?

With all that unknown - the short answer would be to use a Force200 instead of the Force 180 - which would move that end from a 16dBi antenna, to a 25dBi antenna, and should gain you 9 dB on the link.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Firstly the distance is a mere 3km, clear line of sight. Transmit Output Power is 7 dBm, Antenna Gain is 16 dBi. Unfortunately ePTP and TDD PTP mode on the SM is not available therefore I can't use any of those two modes.

Auto Power is turned on, target signal -60dBm (Min: -80| Max: -40). I have not used the link planner yet but thanks also for this. I shall try it now and see how it goes.

Totally agree with you on using a Force 180 as the AP to have more antenna gain. Thanks again for your advise.

Cheers!

1 Like