ptp w/wo connectorized radio

OK, I am a little confused about this set up. On the Cambium website it says the force 110 PTP comes with a connectorized radio with GPS. But according to one of the Cambium webinars, the only time we need GPS synch is when we are using frequency re-use at the AP. If this is the case, should we be using a Connectorized radio without GPS sync? Is there a connectorized radio option that does not come with sync? Thanks

@jonathanderek wrote:

OK, I am a little confused about this set up. On the Cambium website it says the force 110 PTP comes with a connectorized radio with GPS. But according to one of the Cambium webinars, the only time we need GPS synch is when we are using frequency re-use at the AP. If this is the case, should we be using a Connectorized radio without GPS sync? Is there a connectorized radio option that does not come with sync? Thanks

Hi, 

Yes, there is a connectorized radio (without sync). Its called the Force 110 (not Force 110 PTP). This does not have a GPS chip in it or any sync circuitry whatsoever. If you do not plan do GPS sync, then the Force 110 or better still the Force 200 is a great option. 

Thanks,

Sriram

Imagine you wanted to provide the uplink to a tower, and you have a synchronized cluster of sectors in that tower. 

You could engineer the link using at least one GPS unit in the tower side, in a way that the uplink to that tower is synchronized to the sectors. 

Doing this could buy you a couple percent performance gain, since there is no TX going on from the tower side while the sectors are trying to recieve  (this example works best if you use 50% timeslots, like i do in my sectors.). 

There is also the fact that the GPS units are also Gigabit units, so, in theory, in the best conditions, you could carry a couple more Mbps trough a pair of GPS units than you would with a pair of connectorized CPE's.

The force200 kind of eclipses this Gigabit advantage. 

You can mix and match them according to your needs, so, you could use a GPS unit as the AP/master at the tower, synced to your other gear, and have the remote site use a Force200, or a Force110 with a connectorized CPE(10/100).

1 Like

So am I correct then that we do not NEED GPS sync for the Point to pint link?  And to just so I am clear, there is no benefit to using GPS sync in a PTP configuration? we only need it for AP deployment? Thanks

No, you do not need it, and if you are going to use auto ratio (not fixed frames), or Eptp mode, it won't be used anyway. 

If you use 20mhz channels, the ethernets won't limit you, so gigabit or not, won't help.

what is the exact setup you want to implement? 

There are TWO user cases where GPS Sync radios is desired and will help a link: 

One: i want to sync the link to another link/ sector cluster, using TDD-PTP with fixed frame 50/50 or 75/25, 5 or 2.5ms, whatever your sectors are running at. 

Two: I want to saturate a 40mhz clean channel, so the gigabit ports are needed. (Force200 covers this case)

Remembering that only one side of the link must have a GPS unit for the link to be Synced (the master/ap side, usually in the tower), so you could archieve full benefits with a F100PTP/F200 duo, saving you 100 bucks.

1 Like

Thank you for your input, very helpful. Essentially, we are adding a new tower ( about 2 miles from the  existing tower) and we need to get internet to that tower. Once we have the link established we will be running a 2.4Ghz sector, and 5Ghz sector and a 450i 900Mhz sector ( possibly two 60 degree sectors in a couple of months) From here, we will then create one more PTP link to a future tower about 5 miles away. That tower will have nearly the same set up as the one I mentioned above.