PTP650 License: United States or United States (Parabolic antennas only)?

We are setting up our full license on our PTP 650 link and the activation page is asking which country it should register to. My options are United States and United States (Parabolic antennas only). We are going to be using these radios with parabolic antennas, but I wanted to know what the actual difference was as far as the license registration is concerned. Does one limit EIRP or allow different frequencies to be used inside the radio? I just wanted to make sure I was choosing the correct option as I could not find any clear documentation on them (the FAQ had a small page about the codes, but I could not find the ones listed for the parabolic antennas). I have attached images of each option showing the different codes for various frequencies.

Thanks!

Yes, I understand that this is a bit confusing. There is no difference for the 4.9 GHz and 5.8 GHz bands.

For the remaining bands there is a choice of Regulatory Band as follows:

5.1 GHz: Standard = RB 84, Parabolic = RB 92

• RB 84 has maximum transmitter power of 37 dBm EIRP, with reduction in some edge channels
  • RB 92 has maximum transmitter power of 47 dBm EIRP, with reduction in some edge channels

5.2 GHz: Standard = RB 38, Parabolic = RB 91

• The power in the centre of the band is 30 dBm EIRP.
  • RB 38 transmit power is reduced in the edge channels
  • RB 91 has no edge channel power reduction

5.4 GHz: Standard = RB 9, Parabolic = RB 90,

• The power in the centre of the band is 30 dBm EIRP.
  • RB 9 transmit power is reduced in the edge channels
  • RB 90 has no edge channel power reduction

The advantage of the parabolic antenna is greatest at 5.1 GHz.

Of course, you should use the "United States (Parabolic antennas only)" country only if you have a Connectorized ODU with parabolic antennas.

In PTP 670, we moved to a better software solution where you can use the same country license, but still take advantage of the higher power available with parabolic antennas, through use of a new Connectorized Antenna Type attribute.

3 Likes

Thank you Mark, your information is very clear and helpful; I appreciate it!