PTP820 performance issues, disappointing experience!

Hi Chris reading your comments it appears that you may experience intersymbol interferences at high modulation schemes, are you sure you do not have issues with some adjacent links or background noise? A 20km link at 6Ghz should not have any issues , did you try to increase the size of the dishes? Umberto

Also, 6GHz is much more susceptible to reflection. What kind of terrain are you going over. If you have any kind of bodies of water, large flat surfaces etc, then you may be experiencing multipath due to reflection. May need to look at spatial diversity for the link.

1 Like

I have multiple 6Ghz Cambiums in addition all the FCC bands, 820S and 820C. I’ve never had a problem getting to full quam. Most are even running XPIC with many shots over 20 miles and they still can hold 2048. Over 30 radios in operation. I’ve never have had a single problem getting to full modulation. Do you have the ability to run this through Pathloss, so you can analyze multi-path and diffraction? I always design there first, only use linkplanner because they make us in order to purchase radios. I do completely agree with your support comments. Every ticket I’ve ever opened has had to be escalated to management.

1 Like

Just to give you update. Cambium support contacted me. We are running the radio logger for 24 hours and then they will look at things to see what they can figure out. I’ll let you guys know what they come up with.

2 Likes

Hi Cris_2:
I have installed tree jumps with 8Ghz, 0.60 antena, links go from 5 miles to 9 miles.
Though, by speck didn´t need so much throughput, the radios came well.
I personally don´t like the Planner, so used another pLoss, to verify it.
I placed a fixed modulation, fixed TX power, schemes according to our expected throughput and the Radios don´t come up to expected RX signal levels. The levels where to low , close to threashhold levels. Meaning that the is no margin for fadin.
Once I put the radios on Adaptive Modulations, I got the Planners Rx levels.
Now I don´t now what is your expected throughput, but I would suggest trying another planner. (a canadian co).

Very good advice, Pathloss first.
Support wise, Worst is US and Central & South America, even though wwe installed radios in 8 Ghz in Dominican Republic.
I managed to Contact a Cambium Certified Tech, from the UK.
I had him verify my radios and they came to Specified calculations.
But radio behaves very different when put under Fixed Modulation and Adaptative Modulation.

Yeah cambium support is good at letting you know if the equipment is faulty or not … Other than that your on your own from what I noticed , I had alot of unanswered questions as if there short on time and or understaffed and so they rely on the community in the forms or for you to be a certified ccna tech … You can’t get the advanced support unless you pay 10k a year in supply’s …but they did said they offer same support just not priority expedited support but they will close your ticket with unanswered questions and ask you to repeated your questions in another ticket … More or less beatting around the bush… And for you to be experiencing same problems with them for a 10 k setup validates my concern as far as support in the future if I stuck with them further … I even offered $200 a hour for help with support but they never asked for my cnmaestro login … Nor did they ever send me the free AP I signed up for … There business model.seems to be like tesla car company , pay for a software upgrade to make your device faster … it’s like buying a v8 motor and they turn off 4 cylinders and when u ask why it can’t pull a boat up the boat ramp they say you should upgrade your truck for only 800$ and we can turn your other cylinders on …to be fair it Probably saves the longevity of the radios at less power which makes there products more robust which is good for PR but that’s like false advertising… but it’s all subjective In all actuality… The communication should be there focus then you would think…and if they cant provide it because they don’t have ccna for trouble shooting then they should be able to recommend places you would think …( which was one of.my questions btw ) there youtube channel is unorganized and topics are hard to find probably because they dont have the ability to answer them… They probably are just a trademark company and rely on other vendors and support companys … you get what you pay for and there probably trying to keep there over head down for investors as they need to see groth every quarter as I see there stock keep climbing … With that said if your not throwing enough money down to increase there quarter stock then they probably arnt gonna hire a ccna for you … Basiclly better off just buying a computer and throwing some wireless cards in it and buying a parabolic antenna with some tx and rx connectors … Gonna be the same amount of trouble setting it up but probably save you money in long run…when u run other APs in the future … Unless ur trying to run a licenced band then maby it be cheaper but I’m sure you could file your own licenced with fcc and buy some amplifiers and a nice heat sync if it doesn’t have one already … ax wifi 6 is almost here tho so I think that’s gonna change the game alot maby that’s what there putting there efforts to… Either way I dont know because of the lack of communication so that is my two cents , I’m verry open minded but they can’t take advantage of that aparently … Things should be more seem less tho even there cnpilot wasent as seem less as they said it be so I feel cheated sadly … You learn from your mistakes tho… Just wish I seen someone post something like this that I’m writing now as I would of probably done things differently but I assume admin will delete this so I’m gonna copy it just in case to post a video on my youtube later … Thanks best regards - Mike

Let me share my experience. I picked up a client over the summer. they had a microwave path using 820’s. The shot from a tower with fiber to another tower and then across some water to an island. The link was in a 4+0 configuration with dual switches, dual cores, etc. There were weird traffic issues where some things would work, some things wouldn’t. I have been an ISP engineer for 20+ years. It acted like MTU. tons of weird issues. VPns would connect from one location but not another.

Long story short cambium engineers put in lots of hours to help with this. Lots of screen share sessions, lots of phone calls. Support was excellent.

This is what I suspect too. Interference from another channel or multipath reflections would be the first areas to investigate. I suspect that if this were on a licensed 12GHz channel, you’d be fine.