Public ip addresses on SM

i would like to know if there is a way to assign multiple public ip addresses to a single SM module?

mkappa wrote:
i would like to know if there is a way to assign multiple public ip addresses to a single SM module?

Why would you need to do that?

My customers needs 8 or more public ip addresses! My SMs have static public ip address.

mmm… I hope i’ve understood correctly what you are trying to do…

Ok this is easy configuration to do but you need to have networking knowledge. I’m assuming you have a customer who want 8 public IP to get to the net. First you need to assign them a public block. Block come in 4,8,16,32,etc… if they want 8 usable IP’s then you need to assing them a block of 16, out of each block you can’t use the first address or the last (broadcast).

Say they need to put 8 machines on the network, so you need 8 ip 's one for each machine, then you will need 1 ip to act as the gateway.

So you assign them say 69.71.151.0-15, for a block of 16 your subnet mast will need to be 255.255.255.240. You can’t use 69.71.151.0 or 69.71.151.15. Pick one as your gateway, first or last is a normal convention but you can have any so say we use 69.71.151.14 as your gateway.

Now there are two options, they eiter sit on the RF network that is, you assign a secondary address on your router connected to the RF network, this address will be 69.71.151.14, you then disable NAT on the SM , connect the SM to a switch that your customer machines are connected to. Give the cust machines the IP 1-13 with subnet of 255.255.255.240 and gateway 69.71.151.14 The above has serious securtiy concerns for them and you.

The better way to do it is place a router on their premises, set up a private network between you and their router. Then connect their internal machines to the router with the gateway to sit on that router. You then route the whole network from your router across to their router.

There are other security and performance issues you need to worry about, but the above is a basic way of doing it.

Hope it helps