Public (routable) IP addresses for customers

We are a brand new WISP. Our Canopy network is all privately addressed (10.0.1.1/24) using NAT.

A customer wants a static public (routable) IP address so he can get remote support from his software vendor. Typically, the software company uses PCAnywhere or VNC to remotely configure their client’s software.

Is there an easy way to do this? I can’t seem to grasp Public NAT vs Public RF and how to gain access to computers behind an SM. Is there another way to accomplish the same thing?

We already have public (routable) IP addresses but have not used them in our Canopy network design.

Thanks.

You don’t really need the public IP in the radio. You can just stay with the NAT’d IP on the radio and then put a Linksys router at his house with a public IP. You will need to set up a static route in your network for that customer.

Charge 'em for it.

Jerry

I’m providing stattic routable IPs to my customers slightly differently and I think it’ll be easier to implement.

I have a Cisco router handling the NAT translation on my canopy network. Basically I threw a subnet of routable IPs at the router and it NATs to the 10.0.0.0 network canopy is on. I have a small pool of IPs designated for overloading (many to 1 or many to few translations) for my nonstattic customers.

For every stattic IP customer, I have a stattic NAT translation from their routable IP to their 10.0.0.0 IP. Then I put that 10.0.0.0 address in the SM (if they are going to use NAT in the SM (with DMZ) ) or in the customer’s PC or home router.

Basically, this removes the need to route the public IPs accross your 10.0.0.0 network; and it keeps the stattic IP config all in one place (canopy’s edge router).

This is definately a value-added service. No less then an extra $5/mo as far as I’m concerned.

Does this sound like it will work for you?

Sounds like that will work. I will give it a try.

Awesome, glad to hear it. I’m looking forward to hear how it goes.

Wanna do it on the cheap? Port forward the data, eg VNC port 5900 public ip ... port forward port 5900 to 10...

This will not work with more than one user, however is all you have is the one you are good to go.

Other users with vnc? no problem, have them configure vnc to use a non standard port eg 5950 and port forward the same public address to the second 10.
.. and so on