QinQ issue on PMP450 over CMM4

Hello,

Is there any known issue with operating QinQ from a PMP450 2.4ghz SM over a CMM4?

We have a deployment that is calling for us to add QinQ to some PMP450 subscriber modules. We've been successful in deploying this at other sites but we have one site that we aren't able to get working and it's the only site we are still operating a CMM4 on. The other sites operate a similar configuration with the exception of the CMM4.

We are running PMP450 firmware 16.1 on all devices in question.

For reference here is a rundown of a working configuration:

PMP450 SM in QinQ mode with s-tag 2196 and dynamic learning enabled

PMP450 AP configured for QinQ ethertype 0x8100 and VLAN 2196 and dynamic learning enabled

Netonix WISP switch at top of tower

Cisco 2960 at bottom

Cisco 7301 - xconnect to local juniper router

Juniper MX104 - tagged 2196 to juniper ex4200

Juniper ex4200 - QinQ tagging VLANs 1-4098 as well as native vlan on access port

The configuration rundown of the non-working configuration:

PMP450 SM in QinQ mode with s-tag 2197 and dynamic learning enabled

PMP450 AP configured for QinQ ethertype 0x8100 and VLAN 2197 and dynamic learning enabled

CMM4 at top of tower

Cisco 3560 at bottom

Cisco 7301 - xconnect to local juniper router

Juniper MX104 - tagged 2197 to juniper ex4200

Juniper ex4200 - QinQ tagging VLANs 1-4098 as well as native vlan on access port

I can see the MAC address of the far end device on my tagged VLANs but I am unable to get any data across the link. Even a 32 byte ping fails to traverse the link.

My troubleshooting.

I've had the switches I'm testing with (a pair of cisco 3550s) sitting together on my desk both before deployment and after, and they operate correctly in both situations with no configuration changes.

I've confirmed the SM works properly in standard Q mode.

The l2circuit/xconnect is up and traffic from the 7301 to my local juniper hardware is good.

My local Juniper devices are literally the exact same router and switch as the working configuration with the only changes being the target 7301 and the s-tag VLAN.

The only sign of a problem I can find is related to MTU. Maximum MTU is set on all configurable devices. Full mtu of 1600 is successful from bottom of tower to the APs at the top on the successful site. Unsuccessful site is only capable of sending 1514 which seems to be the limit through the CMM4. I would imagine this could cause issues with full 1500 byte packets but I wouldn't expect even 32 byte packets to fail.

All signs on my side point to the CMM4 but I'm wondering if anyone can validate this.

1 Like