Question about SM Power Levels at the AP

Ok so let me explain myself, to see if I fully understand. Ignore QOS settings here, i understand those.

In the SM’s Webpage GUI, the power level is sees is that of the AP. Which in turn affects its Download speeds/quality.

In the AP’s Webpage GUI (Sessions Tab), the power level is for the matching SM. Which in turn affects its Upload speeds/quality.

I have a site where the SM sees 71-73 db from the AP. Good quality, i can even get 2x. No issues there.

At the AP, it sees around 79-80 db from the SM. Not great. I have a very low noisefloor, last time i checked anyway, so the unit stays connected just fine.

Any suggestions to help with that? I’m going to try some repositioning of the SM, then higher gain Antenna for the SM.

You are right: on the SM main page you see the receiving signal from the AP, on the AP Session status you see the receiving signal from the SM.

That said, I don’t think you can directly relate those signals to download and upload speeds.
In my experience, anyway, these signal are normally very similar, except from the case of power intentionally lowered.
Also, if I use an antenna with higher gain, both the signal will be affected.

Are the AP & SM power set to the maximum?
What is the result of a Link capacity test on the SM?

Assuming:

1. You are using the same TX power on both the AP and the SM
and
2. Your AP and SM aren’t damaged and are actually transmitting at that power level

then the difference you see is simply the difference in calibration between radios. If both radios have the same TX power then they are both being received with the same power, too. Your antenna gain is bi-directional.

Motorola readily admits that you will see a 10db+ variation between radios. Canopy 300 (new FSK line) is supposed to fix this by adding another reference point for the DAC or something along those lines.

Both AP and SM are set the the max output at 26 db.

Here’s a short 4 sec link capacity test I just did.

Stats for LUID: 4 Test Duration: 4 Pkt Length: 1522

Downlink RATE: 1990656 bps
Uplink RATE: 663552 bps
Aggregate RATE: 2654208 bps
Pkt Xmt (Act/Exp): 648/0
Pkt Rcv (Act/Exp): 208/0

Downlink Efficiency: 86 Percent
Downlink Index (Act/Max): 86/100
Frag Count (Act/Exp): 17979/15552

Uplink Efficiency: 79 Percent
Uplink Index (Act/Max): 79/100
Frag Count (Act/Exp): 6506/5184

Better antennas make all the difference. What band are these running on?

906 mhz

Antennas are:
Til Tek 120 degree sector on the AP
Wireless Beehive Stingers on the SM

personally i would try the 14db m2 yagi they seem to perform very well.

Yeah I like m2 as well. We use a m2 17dbi yagi for another customer not that far away and it helped tremendously with their connection. But they are right near some major powerlines in the grid. It was the only way to stabilize their re-regs.

I’ve ordered a couple more of the 17s to keep in stock, and i’m also got a Super Stinger on order to try as well.

Just seeing if there was anything else i was missing to try other than different antennas.

If that linktest is at 2X it’s fine.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
If that linktest is at 2X it's fine.

I agree.

If that is at 1x mode you really need to look at the link closer, as that test would indicate a poor link.

2x for both uplink and downlink?

Whats the best way to tell for when i’m doing the test?

Because I thought I read that on the sessions page if you aren’t using any high priority channel on uplink it will only show 2x/1x, but when in use it will show 2x/2x

Myself, when I want to troubleshoot a link like that, I just disable 2x in the SM while I’m working on it. Seems to make it easier when I eliminate that variable.