Question about the 450 AP

Hello. I currently run a cluster of 6 access points which are the 100 advantage model. the subscruber modules are also the 100 model. We are looking at upgrading to the 450 AP cluster but have read a few other peoples questons and i never realy felt they answered the question i was wondering so i thought i would ask it myself.

If we run the cluster of 450 Aps with the 100s in mixed mode until we migrate everyone over to 450 subscriber modules, what kind of bandwidth would be coming through the AP? i currently have 140 customers and the current APs can handle 14mbps  each. I know the new ones can handle upwards of 90 but i dont think i would get those speeds until all of the Sms are 450. So in the meantime, does anyone know what kind os speeds will go through the new APs in mixed mode?

@geraldthunder wrote:

Hello. I currently run a cluster of 6 access points which are the 100 advantage model. the subscruber modules are also the 100 model. We are looking at upgrading to the 450 AP cluster but have read a few other peoples questons and i never realy felt they answered the question i was wondering so i thought i would ask it myself.

If we run the cluster of 450 Aps with the 100s in mixed mode until we migrate everyone over to 450 subscriber modules, what kind of bandwidth would be coming through the AP? i currently have 140 customers and the current APs can handle 14mbps  each. I know the new ones can handle upwards of 90 but i dont think i would get those speeds until all of the Sms are 450. So in the meantime, does anyone know what kind os speeds will go through the new APs in mixed mode?

Hi, 

A PMP 450 AP does not support a PMP 100 SM. So you cannot run it in mixed mode. The mixed mode (or what we call as interop) is between a 450 AP and 430 SM. In your case, while upgrading your cluster, you are basically replacing  an AP and all its SMs to PMP 450. This will instantly give that sector throughput of 90 Mbps and upwards. 

Thanks,

Sriram

Thank you for the information.

i thought i read somewhere a license key can be purchased that would enable it to work with the 100s. maybe that wa old information. thank you

For additional information on migrating your platform, take a look at this solution paper for some recommendations.